Replacement Vaillant Controllers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, how time flies! It's been just over a year since I completed our bathroom refurbishment, which involved adding an additional UFH zone and having to upgrade our Vaillant wiring centre and heating controls. At the time I posted the following to get a view on the VRC 700 controller:

Pros & Cons of Vaillant VRC700 controller

With the recent electricity and gas price increases and further pending increases on 1st April, not to mention the foreseable future, I have decided I need more temperature control that I am currently getting from the VRC 700 (and two remote VR 91's).

Unfortunately (in my opinion) the VRC 700 is crap, to use a technical term, as it only allows one day temperature and one night temperature (set back) for each zone. Also, whenever you override the temperature, it applies the override for 6 hours and this takes priority over the setback temperature kicking in (another crap feature).

In an attempt to reduce the amount of gas being used I'm finding myself manually having to change the temperature for each of my 3 heating zones on a regular basis. So much for automation!

Does anyone have any thoughts on what can be done to improve the temperature control I have on my existing system? Here's what I have:

ecoTEC plus 637 system boiler
unvented 260l uniSTOR
VR 71 wiring centre (provides 3 heating zones + DHW)
2 x UFH manifolds (bathroom and kitchen), each controlled via a VR 91
15 radiators on 3 floors controlled by a VRC 700.

My first thought was to upgrade the VRC 700 to a VRC 720 and the two VR 91's to VR 92's as the VRC 720 allows multiple temperatures to be programmed for each zone. This is the very expensive option.

Unfortunately for me, the VRC 720 + VR 92 only became available just after I had purchased and installed my VRC 700 + VR 91 otherwise I would be in a much better place if I had installed this newer version over a year ago.

I was wondering if I could get extra control via an app, as I seem to recall reading about this some time ago, but not sure how that would fit into my existing system.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back