Replacing 2 gang switch with dimmer & single for ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm in a right muddle and desperate for some help!

I've got a 2gang switch in my bedroom, which controls the bedroom lights, and the ensuite lights - with an extractor fan integrated.

My intention was to replace the bedroom light switch with a dimmer, and put the bathroom on to a separate switch, as I couldn't find a dimmer/1gang switch plate anywhere.

*Stupidly I didn't take a photo or any notice of how it was wired up before unwiring the original plate*

Basically, there were 5 cables, 4 being twin&earth, the 5th being 4ply with 2 lives.

I identified two as a live feed and the bedroom light cable, and wired them up to the dimmer - I made sure I took the ones from the original bedroom switch, easy!

Now I'm left with 3 sets of cables, and no idea where they should go in a 1 gang switch! As an added bonus, after I had unwired the plug, I noticed that there was a small length of brown going between the two switches on the original 2gang plate...does this mean that none of the 3 remaining cables were live?

I appreciate that it might be a bit difficult to understand from what I've written, but I'm happy to be interrogated if it mean's I get some lights upstairs!

Sponsored Links
So does the dimmer now operate the bedroom light?
The brown cable across the switches sounds like a permanent live link from bedroom live/com to en suite com.
What does 4ply mean?

So does the dimmer now operate the bedroom light?
The brown cable across the switches sounds like a permanent live link from bedroom live/com to en suite com.
What does 4ply mean?

Yep, the dimmer seems to work fine now, on the bedroom light.

By 4ply I mean live, live, neutral and earth.

Sponsored Links
By 4ply I mean live, live, neutral and earth.
so three core and earth then?
what colours are the cores?
and what are the three sets of cable you have left?

There are three cables left after wiring up the bedroom light switch

1 cable is 3core and earth (black, grey and brown, but the black has a brown sleeve over it, and the grey has a blue sleve over it)
2 are 2core and earth (brown and blue)

Any connection blocks at the switch plate, prior to you disconnecting?
You said en-suite lights, so more than one light fitting?

Any connection blocks at the switch plate, prior to you disconnecting?
You said en-suite lights, so more than one light fitting?

There are two recessed lights in the bathroom.

I've just taken the front off the fan isolater switch, and identified that the 3core is connected to it, so that the fan is still live even after the lights are turned off, allowing the fan to run for an extra period of time (standard practice now I believe)

Consequently I've got the two corresponding lives from the 3core connected to the two live terminals on the lightswitch...I just can't identify what the other two cables are for...I've tried buzzing them with my meter, but no matter what position/combination they don't seem to make a circuit.

Before I disconnected, there were two connector blocks, one for all neutrals, one for all grounds, so I've reconnected them too.

Id say there is a good chance you have 2 3core cables for bathroom lighting; one for lights, and another for shaving light or illuminated mirror etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back