replacing 3 gang 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
]HI
I have bought a new 3g 2w switch to replace an old one (early 90s) the one I have bought is an MK type. the wiring diagram looks nothing like the old one. have they changed since the 90s ?because the wiring looks totally different and also is the tenby type the same as the MK. I could use some assistance with this from someone please! I would never attempt a rewire but i am reasonably able.

Sponsored Links
Did you note down what wires were connected to the lights they were operating and the terminals they were in on the old switch?
What terminals have you on the new one?

For any two way switch - the layout is generally a triangle shape of C (L) at the top L1 and L2 at the bottom.
On some three gang switches the centre triangle inverted while on others they are are the same way.

The key thing is that you match the old switch cable locations to the new one - so take lots of photographs and make some drawings before you remove the old switch.

The other key things are to learn how lighting circuits work, to learn how switches work, to get a multimeter and to get to the position where you know exactly what's going on, exactly how the switch needs to work in your application and how to identify which switch terminal is which.

Sponsored Links
Did you note down what wires were connected to the lights they were operating and the terminals they were in on the old switch?
What terminals have you on the new one?

the new one as a top row L1- L2 L1-L2 L1 L2-below is com-com-com. the make is MK

Note that on the new 3 gang switch each switch has one COM, one L1, and one L2.

Note that on the old 3 gang switch each switch has one COM, one L1, and one L2.

It makes no difference how the terminals are arranged, except that you will need to observe which terminal is for each individual switch.

It should be quite clear which terminals are for each switch by the layout of the markings.

All you have to do is copy the old switch wiring, bearing in mind the terminals may be arranged differently. Remember, each individual switch consists of one COM, one L1, and one L2.

If the switch has a metal faceplate it must be earthed.

As noted above, you are up the swanee without a paddle if you have taken the old wiring off without making an accurate note (and a photo) of the wiring arrangements.

There are 101 different ways of wiring lighting circuits. And you have a 3 gang switch so the combinations are probably a very large prime number not too far off the national debt.

Ahh yes, but that does not factor in loops between commons (or maybe to L1s for two way switching) or the possible addition of neutral loop in cambinations.

Its still a big number and probably not a prime......

But maybe he kept a note. My breath is bated (not like Katie Price)....

the new one as a top row L1- L2 L1-L2 L1 L2-below is com-com-com. the make is MK

So I guess you have removed the old switch, without taking any notes of conductors and terminals?

Next question.
What cables do you have at this switch point and are the cables PVC sheathed (could be grey)?
If so can you break the conductors down to the sheaths they are in?
If you could upload a picture it may help

In which case it could be time to buy a multi-meter......
The other key things are to learn how lighting circuits work, to learn how switches work, to get a multimeter and to get to the position where you know exactly what's going on, exactly how the switch needs to work in your application and how to identify which switch terminal is which.

my thanks to all who replied, some useful some not. bytheway I was not stupid enough to relase all the wires in the old socket, I just unscrewed the plate to assess the situation. anway once again thanks to all. needless to say if I am doubtful I will get a profeesional to sort it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back