Replacing a 2 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there...before I burn my house down, could someone please tell me how to wire my new switch bearing in mind what I have in my old switch. I have two lights in my bedroom that I want to WIFI up and this is the wiring from them (one of the lights is also controlled by another switch upstairs but, I don't care about that). Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Bill

LtUOwqsvRz6bux8Br+mjtw.jpg
s9MmC7rFScuTu637zGH38g.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unless there are more wires in the back box, you do not have a Neutral, therefore you cannot use the new switch.

OK...hmmm....so what do I need to buy (any ideas) ? I assumed buying a two gang switch would be the same regardless but I am clearly wrong.

The one you have bought looks like a forgery as the CE mark is incorrect (false).

Another problem is we don't know if the two lights in your bedroom are fed from the same circuit. You or an electrician needs to verify this before we can advise further. Also depending on the way the right hand 2 way circuit is wired you might not have a permanent live at that switch.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm....thanks everyone...this all sounds to be fun. OK, so I have located a smart switch that doesn't require a neutral. Would I be correct in thinking this will be easier (rather than running a neutral from the light which will involve way too much work) ? The two lights in the bedroom are controlled from the same trip if this helps.

Ahhh...I think I get it now....basically, I am screwed....unless I can find a 2 gang 2 way that doesn't require a neutral (whic only seem to be available from Hong Kong)...it's going to need a neutral running from it.

Ahhh...I think I get it now....basically, I am screwed....unless I can find a 2 gang 2 way that doesn't require a neutral (whic only seem to be available from Hong Kong)...it's going to need a neutral running from it.
Yup. Not so easy this so-called smart technology.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back