Replacing a bathroom fan....what to get.

Anything cheap will be pretty poor performance wise, I always use a good fan connected to pir in ceiling which also has an adjustable timer in it. Fan should run anytime the room is occupied not just for showers/ baths.

Sponsored Links
Anything cheap will be pretty poor performance wise, I always use a good fan connected to pir in ceiling which also has an adjustable timer in it. Fan should run anytime the room is occupied not just for showers/ baths.
Earlier today we went shopping, and bought things which we store in the bathroom (soap, toothpaste, shampoo).

EFLI (probably) and I (certainly) insist that you put forward a cogent explanation of why my fan should have run when I went in there to put the shopping away.

Plus ditto when I go in there shortly to clean my teeth.

Last edited:
Get LEDs, and stop worrying about them being left on.
I do mainly have LEDs now - as the CFLs die I put in LEDs. But still - it would better if they weren't leaving lights on.
Train your children properly. I was never allowed to leave lights on.
If only it was that simple. Eldest has ADHD - I have to pick my battles and lower expectations- getting them to remember to do their coursework or have a battle about leaving lights on...
Youngest gets upset that eldest gets away with things they don't - they do kind of understand that it is harder for older one but still it is hard for them...I have to make allowances.
(And for all the 'ADHD isn't real' brigade - believe me it is. It might be used as an excuse in some cases but I've been diagnosed with it as an adult which explained a lot. And the medication - a strong stimulant that would have 'normal' people speeding - has the opposite effect on me. In fact the first time I took it was frightening as everything went calm and quiet. And I realised just how noisy my brain is - how many thoughts etc are whirring around constantly. It was like being in a busy city centre and being instantly transported to a deserted beach. It is not surprising that people with ADHD are easily distracted and forget things....)
. Fan should run anytime the room is occupied not just for showers/ baths.
And I'm also curious about the reasoning behind this statement ....

Sponsored Links
Fan should run anytime the room is occupied not just for showers/ baths.
Why?

Fan should run anytime the room is occupied not just for showers/ baths.
And I'm also curious about the reasoning behind this statement ....

Foxhole has been back to the site every day since he wrote that, and posted 25 times in other topics.

He clearly has no intention of even trying to justify what he wrote.

I don't see that he can have any reasonable grounds for complaint if we take his silence as confirmation that he knows it was complete rubbish.

Foxhole has been back to the site every day since he wrote that, and posted 25 times in other topics.

He clearly has no intention of even trying to justify what he wrote.

I don't see that he can have any reasonable grounds for complaint if we take his silence as confirmation that he knows it was complete rubbish.
Seems like you were wrong again.

Fans normally have a 20 minute maximum overrun, but I'm not convinced that this is enough, so if there isn't a humidistat, then Foxhole brought up a reasonable comment. I'm starting to feel that toilets need a timer fan, but bathrooms need a humidistat type instead, and that's not something most people are used to doing yet.

To encourage good ventilation of a small area and discourage condensation.
I presume you meant when having a bath/shower or when making smells but cleaning teeth or having a wee does not need ventilation nor encourage condensation.

I personally find the noise of a fan extremely irritating and will not have one. There are no problems as a consequence.

Condensation (slight misting of the tiles and mirrors) as a natural occurrence when having a bath is not a problem and should disappear in a few minutes anyway. If it does not, then there are more fundamental problems with the premises. A fan might help or it might not but one should not actually be needed.
If, rather than normal condensation, you mean condensation which does not go away or damp leading to mould, then this, again, is an indication of other problems such as too humid premises or leaks.
Obviously, dealing with smells or not is a personal circumstance and decision.

Anyway, whichever it is, having a fan on is not compulsory.

Not so far. At the time I wrote what I did you had not posted here again.

And you still have not tried to justify what you wrote - "To encourage good ventilation of a small area and discourage condensation" is not an explanation of why a fan "should run anytime the room is occupied not just for showers/ baths".

Earlier that day we had been shopping, and bought things which we store in the bathroom (soap, toothpaste, shampoo).

So come on then, please put forward a cogent explanation of why my fan should have run when I went in there to put the shopping away.

Plus ditto when I went in there later that evening to clean my teeth.

I presume you meant when having a bath/shower or when making smells but cleaning teeth or having a wee does not need ventilation nor encourage condensation.

I personally find the noise of a fan extremely irritating and will not have one. There are no problems as a consequence.

Condensation (slight misting of the tiles and mirrors) as a natural occurrence when having a bath is not a problem and should disappear in a few minutes anyway. If it does not, then there are more fundamental problems with the premises. A fan might help or it might not but one should not actually be needed.
If, rather than normal condensation, you mean condensation which does not go away or damp leading to mould, then this, again, is an indication of other problems such as too humid premises or leaks.
Obviously, dealing with smells or not is a personal circumstance and decision.

Anyway, whichever it is, having a fan on is not compulsory.
Condensation occurs when there is insufficient air movement.
It does not just dissapear of its own accord as you suggest. There has to be ventilation , hence I stand by statement.
Did not reply to banal sheds as his comments are too ridiculous to warrant reply.

Did not reply to banal sheds as I am completely unable to justify why a fan should need to go on when someone goes into the bathroom to put supplies away, and therefore "Fan should run anytime the room is occupied not just for showers/ baths" was total nonsense, but I think I can bluster and wriggle my way out of admitting that, and out of other people realising it.

Not so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back