Replacing a ceiling fan..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Complete electrical newbie here. I need to replace my ceiling fan. I’ve a new one here ready to go it shows 3 cables required, live, neutral and Earth.
Had whipped the existing cover off and see the following. I remember there were far too many cables there previously (my dad helped).
It looks like there are at least 4 cables coming out of the ceiling.
Just wondering where to start?
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_6539.jpeg
    IMG_6539.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6540.jpeg
    IMG_6540.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6541.jpeg
    IMG_6541.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6543.jpeg
    IMG_6543.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Looks like quite a few wires/ conductors have been extended ,using terminal blocks. Difficult to see from your pics exactly what's going on. The Cable that has its live and neutral ( red and black wires) connected to the fittings main terminal block is the one that should connect to your new fittings terminal block ( show us a pic of that).
The incoming earth conductors( sleeved green/ yellow) have been grouped together in a terminal block and an extension wire added ( can't make out its colour , possibly black) which then goes to the fittings earth terminal. The incoming earth conductors should connect to the new fittings earth terminal ,assuming it has one and needs earthing.
Can't make out the other cable connections but suspect there is a terminal block for all incoming neutrals and another housing the incoming lives.
If you have access above the ceiling ,I would be inclined to make all the connections there in a suitable junction box ,and from it, add a length of 3 core flex to the new fitting.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just wondering where to start?
Well, the simple answer is that you disconnect the wires that go to the present fan - mark and remember where they came from - while not disturbing other wires and then connect the corresponding wires of the new fan to the appropriate places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back