change old light for new ceiling fan ? please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to change the old ceiling light and replace with a nice cool ceiling fan with light.
here is the oringinal fitting with cables
363797813ef826dbc0e8efc558042779c2779b8a64efe3cc3d3c3946.jpg

and this is the terminal on the ceiling fan
5947679221235223818de11d89f0109e67dfe969bacb23e498a8f711.jpg

which cable goes where?
any advice would be grateful
could it be as simple as all red to red and black to black and earth to earth???

Sponsored Links
On the old ceiling rose take the black conductor thats with the blue wire & put into terminal marked N
Take the black conductor that is connected to the brown wire (in the loop terminals) & put into the terminal marked L & sleeve the black cable with some brown sleeving.
The bare earth conductors (cpc) need sleeving green/yellow and putting into the last terminal of the new fitting.
The reds need putting together in a bit of chock block & taping up.

Dont forget the testing & minor works cert :LOL:

and put the other two reds in their own piece of terminal block (not supplied :LOL:) with nothing else ;)

You beat me with your edit comms!!

Spark123 said:
and put the other two reds in their own piece of terminal block (not supplied :LOL:) with nothing else ;)

You beat me with your edit comms!!

Dam you were quick off the mark there spark123, I was side tracked watching the tv.

Sponsored Links
thanks fellas you've saved me alot of ear ache from er that must be obeyed :D
I'll do it over the next few days
thanks

From a safety point of view, what type of room & how high the ceilings are should be considered, personally I would never instal one in anything other than a living room (although I am not sure if there are any builing regs or B.S's that cover their instalation).

Dont forget the extra weight of the fan - some can be very heavy and may need an extra board between joists up in teh roof space to help take the weight.

jj4091 said:
From a safety point of view, what type of room & how high the ceilings are should be considered, personally I would never instal one in anything other than a living room (although I am not sure if there are any builing regs or B.S's that cover their instalation).
Behave - mythbusters proved that domestic ceiling fans cannot seriously injure people. The blades simply stop spinning on any obstruction - the motor has very little torque.

And those with metal blades flex before any injury is caused, and are normally mounted too high to reach. The only "fan" that damaged the model head and neck was the one they made from a few bits of rigid metal and a lawnmower engine! :LOL:

Why wouldn't you install one in a bedroom? Dont you have sleepless hot clammy nights in summer?

Just thought I'd show my progression with this Fan business
95199894306750bec0fe71f20f3a74ecfb9eba841f466736c497c7ce.jpg

and up it goes, these fan are not heavy but very effective in the hot summer nights
98980399b6317cd4f821195020269e5061ce7bc7b9c7f820e25f4484.jpg

Thank you all very much for your input and advice I am very grateful and er who must be obeyed is happy which is the main thing, going to crack open a beer ... cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back