Replacing a Conventional Boiler with Combi.

bdw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an estimate to supply & fit a new Baxi Duotec 33 combi boiler to replace my old conventional boiler. I wonder if someone could have a look and let me know if this sounds fair?
  • Drain and remove old boiler
  • Alter pipework to suit
  • Remove HW Cylinder
  • Upgrade gas supply to 22mmm pipe
  • Supply ansd fit Adey Magna-clean filter
  • Supply and fit Hive room stat
  • Install condensate internal where possible
  • Flush system with chemicals
  • Add inhibitor on completion
Total cost £1950

Sponsored Links
Difficult without seeing job but sounds like a really good price to me for a conversion including gas pipe upgrade, remote heating controls and magnetic filter.

I would say on the cheap side.
Flushing system with chemicals is a day job i.e. the chemicals that have 'dissolved' the muck have to be removed from the system. If chemical dosing takes place, no proper flushing done, what is the point of using chemicals

22mm gas line means nothing. What other appliances do you have. There are times a gas line can be 15mm, other times 28mm required.

Open vented to combi sometimes means leak galore

IMHO, there are better controls than Hive

OP, you need to read up, find out what you are getting. Unless you understand what is being offered, price may not be that good

Baxi while good, will need fitting to a clean system, else warranty issues possible. Baxi take water sample for testing during warranty call, so watery quality needs to be good.

Lastly, boiler cylinder combination far better that combi boiler as boiler going belly up means at present you still have hot water.

I would look at a system boiler along with an unvented cylinder, it shouldn't mean too many pipe work changes, give a much better hot water flow rate and with an immersion heater fitted, gives you hot water if the boiler fails.
Another thing to consider/ worry about is, what is the age / condition of your radiators. If you are switching from an "open vented" to "sealed system" this will put them under increased pressure and any weaknesses will show

Sponsored Links
I would look at a system boiler along with an unvented cylinder, it shouldn't mean too many pipe work changes, give a much better hot water flow rate and with an immersion heater fitted, gives you hot water if the boiler fails.
Another thing to consider/ worry about is, what is the age / condition of your radiators. If you are switching from an "open vented" to "sealed system" this will put them under increased pressure and any weaknesses will show

It's just my wife and I in the house and we have an electric shower so I don't think that flow should be a problem? Regarding radiator leaks, my next door neighbour has the same installation and since he changed two or three years ago he had no problems. Hopefully this should be OK.

I would say on the cheap side.
Flushing system with chemicals is a day job i.e. the chemicals that have 'dissolved' the muck have to be removed from the system. If chemical dosing takes place, no proper flushing done, what is the point of using chemicals

22mm gas line means nothing. What other appliances do you have. There are times a gas line can be 15mm, other times 28mm required.

Open vented to combi sometimes means leak galore

IMHO, there are better controls than Hive

OP, you need to read up, find out what you are getting. Unless you understand what is being offered, price may not be that good

Baxi while good, will need fitting to a clean system, else warranty issues possible. Baxi take water sample for testing during warranty call, so watery quality needs to be good.

Lastly, boiler cylinder combination far better that combi boiler as boiler going belly up means at present you still have hot water.

I can only agree with DP.
Also, I'd of thought it would be wise to get another couple of quotes.
Reading between the lines, I don't think you've been quoted for a Powerflush - while not always required, converting an Open Vented system the system water condition is always a big consideration.
>35KW Combi is certainly more common, where the budget is not a huge factor.

I did get another quote. Both of them were from people that I know personally and that I am sure I can trust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back