Replacing a fused light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i replace a fused light switch with an ordinary one??.
It serves the lights underneath my wall mounted kitchen units.

Sponsored Links
Hello Dodgy1.
It may be the case that the 'installer' has has used a 'fused spur' to fuse down from the kitchen ring main ?
If this is the case then it should remain so. ;)

Hope this is of some help.

Ed

Why do you want to change it?
If it's because it has a neon, change it for one without.

If it's because it doesn't match your other accessories, get one which does.

If it's in the wrong place, move it.

If it's because you really find the fuse unspeakably ugly then see if you can relocate the FCU - put an unswitched one somewhere less obtrusive and use it to supply a regular light switch. If you use it to supply one gang of a switch doing other lights, let us know and we can restart the "discussion" here on whether/where/how you should document the need to turn off more than one circuit to make the switch safe to work on... ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick responses gys.
The spur is definatly off the lighting circuit, not the power circuit.
The reason i want to change it is because there are 2 light switches side by side, one for the main lights in the kitchen, the other for these under cupboard lights.
I'm looking to change from the standard white plastic switches to chrome ones.

Or if it wasn't done by a competent person then maybe the the FCU is not there for a reason......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back