Replacing a fused spur with a plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a really rookie electrical question that I was hoping you could help me with :mrgreen:. Apologies if it's been asked before, but I wanted to make sure that I follow the right steps based on my setup.

I had a wall mounted radiator that was hardwired into a flex outlet which was turned on and off via a fused spur on my wall. I removed the radiator a while ago and terminated the wires behind the flex outlet using chock blocks and replaced the flex outlet with a blank plate. The fused spur remains as it is – 2 red wires, 2 black wires and an earth wire (see image below).

Current.jpg

Now I’ve got a new wall mounted plug-in radiator, so I want to replace the fused spur with a wall socket (see image below).

New.jpg

Could you please let me know where I need to insert the existing wires behind the fused spur (2 red wires, 2 black wires and an earth wire) on the new wall socket (L, E and N), which is 1 gang?

A dumbed-down explanation would be greatly appreciated :sneaky:.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ducky

Sponsored Links
Could you please let me know where I need to insert the existing wires behind the fused spur (2 red wires, 2 black wires and an earth wire) on the new wall socket (L, E and N), which is 1 gang? A dumbed-down explanation would be greatly appreciated :sneaky:.
I can't dumb it down any further than ... the 2 red wires into the L terminal, the two black wires into the N terminal, and the green/yellow one into the E terminal ...

... and, of course, make very very sure that the electricity supply to the 'fused spur' is turned off before yopu do anything !!

PS. there are probably two copper wires inside that green/yellow sleeving, one from each of the cables.

Kind Regards, John

I can't dumb it down any further than ... the 2 red wires into the L terminal, the two black wires into the N terminal, and the green/yellow one into the E terminal ...

... and, of course, make very very sure that the electricity supply to the 'fused spur' is turned off before yopu do anything !!

PS. there are probably two copper wires inside that green/yellow sleeving, one from each of the cables.

Kind Regards, John

Legend!! Thank you so much. Worked perfectly :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back