Replacing a garden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could do with some advice on my garden fence that I'm replacing.

What is there now are five 3'x6' panels, supported by 3"x3" posts on 24" spikes, the spikes at either end set in concrete (the tops at least).

I want to replace it with 6' board fencing, and the easiest way would appear to use the existing spikes, but is this advisable?

They go in to a heavy clay soil (virtually solid clay after 18"), so should I leave them untouched, put some concrete around them, or get them out and start from scratch?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If they're not rusted then there's no reason not to reuse them. The only problem I see is that when you try to take out the existing posts, it'll be amazing if the spikes don't work themselves loose or even come out altogether.

The trouble with metposts is that they are notorious for being slack and the post wobbling. Take one out and try it first.

Sponsored Links
take them out and concrete them in properly. metposts are a waste of metal, time, money and effort

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back