Replacing a hot water tank - is this reasonable?

yes it could be a passing shower cartridge or a passing cartridge in a thermostatic tap

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well shorn,not bad you've made 5 pages ! any luck ?

:D OK so a little update.

Shut water off today, added 4 isolation valves to the feeds for the bath H & C and shower H & C. Replaced the bath mixer with a couple of (cheap) single taps. All connected back up, switch water back on (no leaks) and...

Hot water to the bath!

Well, I say hot water. It starts very hot, then certainly loses a bit of heat. I found that if I open the tap up full, then it will pretty much come out cold, but around half on, and you'd get warm water. It was enough to fill a bath up the overflow and to remain reasonably warm.

I have a feeling that the blender valve still needs replacing. It's leaking anyhow, and I'm not sure if that's contributing to the temperature that were getting to the bath hot tap, or if what we got today was as good as it would get, bearing in mind it's being heated as it flows through the tank.

Either way, certainly more positive than a day ago.

Well, I say hot water. It starts very hot, then certainly loses a bit of heat. I found that if I open the tap up full, then it will pretty much come out cold, but around half on, and you'd get warm water. It was enough to fill a bath up the overflow and to remain reasonably warm.

Could it just be the flow which is far too fast that it is unable to transfer enough heat?

What's it like if you don't turn the hot tap on full?

Might it be worth tweaking the isolation valve closed a little?

Sponsored Links
Could it just be the flow which is far too fast that it is unable to transfer enough heat?

Quite possibly. However if that is the case, then again, it would make me question whether or not this is the right system for us. I know my wife will want a bath much hotter than how that came out. I don't think there's any harm in replacing the blend valve, for the sake of around £100 and assessing it all then.

Quite possibly. However if that is the case, then again, it would make me question whether or not this is the right system for us. I know my wife will want a bath much hotter than how that came out. I don't think there's any harm in replacing the blend valve, for the sake of around £100 and assessing it all then.

You might check the temperature of the pipe emerging from the tank, then compare it to the water temperature at the bath tap - it will be a little cooler at the tap, but it should not be substantially cooler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back