replacing a light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to replace a light fitting which is wired up as the picture.
The new fitting fits flush to the ceiling so I have to
remove these connections and only has single L,N and E terminals.
I know very little about electrics,so I don't understand why 1 of the
3 black wires,which I assumed were neutrals,is connected to the live side.
Do I connect the 3 red and 1 black to the single live terminal of the new fitting
and the 2 black to the neutral ?
The light has only 1 switch
Thanks

Attachments

• 20160522_121510.jpg
    20160522_121510.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
Do I connect the 3 red and 1 black to the single live terminal of the new fitting
and the 2 black to the neutral ?
Even knowing very little about electrics, I don't understand why simple common sense doesn't tell you that if you connect something up differently to how it's connected now, it must then work differently to how it works now...

Sponsored Links
Neutral is the name given to the conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.

It is not a name for black (or blue) wires.

Wires can be anything we want; they do not know what colour they are.

It should really have a sleeve of brown on it indicating that it is the switched live coming back from the light switch plate, you'll want to invest in some earth sleeving while you're at it too...

It's better to use red, but you know what he means. The switched live should be marked accordingly.

We did this to death some time ago.Did you want to do it again?

From my practical POV it tells you that the conductor is live or may become live. It also helps on forums, like this, where not-so-experienced-as-you people start to wire up their IKEA light fittings and are faced with three black, or blue, conductors to deal with.

Something in 514 says conductors shall be identified by colour in accordance with Table 51. And table 51 says a line conductor shall have the brown colour.

I don't disagree with any of that.

For some reason I thought that the suggestion was to sleeve a red/brown conductor.

IHNI what that reason was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back