3 reds and 3 blacks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning.

I want to replace a 1970's ceiling rose/batten holder with a new 3-light ceiling fitting.

I have disconnected the ceiling rose/batten holder and there are 3 red wires and 3 black wires (3 reds connected to one terminal, 2 black to another, and 1 black to the 3rd terminal, as shown in the photo below - if my upload has worked!).

However the new ceiling fitting has 1 live, 1 neutral, and 1 earth terminal.

Please can anyone advise how to connect the 3 red and 3 black wires to the new fitting. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can't see the photo

The black on its own is switch live and should have a red sleeve and connects to the L terminal.
All the reds go together and to nothing else, you'll need an extra piece of block for this.
The two blacks go to the N terminal.
All 3 earths go to the earth terminal.

Thanks Spark123, that's very helpful.

We don't have any earth cables in the ceiling, so presumably we just don't connect anything to the eachrth terminal in the new light fitting?

thanks

We don't have any earth cables in the ceiling,
If the new light fitting has an earth terminal, then you CANNOT install it.

Your options are
- put the old light fitting back
- get another fitting which doesn't require an earth
- rewire the circuit so that it has an earth.

Sponsored Links
I'm quite certain that is not an earth terminal, and that is the loop terminal. I think that's how the old battenholders were.

Often a circular pattress was available, though not always used, which had an earth terminal.

Check in the ceiling void for earth wires; sometimes the bare earth wires were twisted together and shoved up in the ceiling void.

If you can't see any earth wires inspect the cables to see if they have been chopped off.

I'll second that. Many older (and some newer) battens have a loop terminal in the lampholder.

EDIT: Just looked at it close-up.

It looks like it could be an earth terminal as it is wholly exposed.

Loop terminals are usually shrouded by insulating material, like the switched live & neutral terminals.

Got to say that was my thinking - all exposed like that makes it an earth teminal...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back