Replacing a magnetic switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1.5Kwh dust extractor in my hobby woodworking workshop. The machine is fitted with a Magnetic Switch. This works fine and I understand the safety aspect of the switch, preventing the mnachine starting if the power is cut and then re connected.

I would like to have the machine wired to a switch that will allow me to control the on/off aspect of the machine by using a remote control device. This will permit me to turn the machine on from anywhere in the workshop without having to trudge over to the dust extractor.

Q - Can I safely do this, what sort of switch would I require to do it etc. I would like to have a switch with a neon indicator or even an illuminated swith itself to identify the machine is in the "on" position.

Any help will be much appreciated.

David

Sponsored Links
Does the machine have separate start and stop buttons ? Or is it a mechanical ON-OFF switch that drops to OFF when power is removed.

Also you need to consider the safety aspects of remote starting from a location where the machine cannot be seen.

Also adding a remote starting button will require thought about how to ensure the machine cannot be started if someone is working on it.

There are two seperate switches/buttons on the starter. the on (green) being flush with the housing. the Red off button proud of the housing.

As mentioned it is a hobby workshop so there will be no one else working in the shop besides myself.

the workshop is only 24 x 14 feet so I will have visual contact with the machines at all times.

Your remote START button will be a push to make momentary button wired in parallel with the start button in the machine. Assuming it is mains voltage on the start button you will need to use mains rated cable and and an earth so 1 mm twin and earth. Normal rules about cable running will apply.

I would also fit a remote STOP button, ( push to break ) in series with the stop button on the machine just in case it needs to be stopped with out having to trudge over to the dust extractor.

Hobby or commercial workshop, the safety requirements are the same, in fact in a hobby workshop where you are working alone safety is possibly more critical.

Sponsored Links
Most of the magnetic switches used on tools these days cannot pull in like a starter - they rely on the action of pressing the green button to mechanically close the contacts and then the magnetics can hold it in. Also, none of the ones I've seen have any external connections so you can't even wire in a remote stop button without opening it up.

My feeling is that they are also "a bit marginal" in switching capacity and I've seen several that are burned out.

If you have one of these types of switch, then you could remove it and fit a proper pushbutton starter which can be remotely started and stopped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back