replacing a plastic swich with a metal one...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi....
I,m replacing a plasic single switch with a metal one at the top of the stairs...

I have 3 switches ...one at the bottom...one at the top...and another leading into the dormer bedroom...
when i have taken the front off the plastic switch for the dormer...i have 4 connections. L1 L1 L2 L2..I have a switch wire going to L1 and L2...Then a red wire going L1 L2....from 2 different wires....

On the metal switch i only have 3 connections not 4...

Common L1 L2...not sure where the wires should go... as i would have one over....

any help would be great

thanks...

Sponsored Links
DO NOT DISCONNECT ANY WIRES.

The switch with 4 terminals is an intermediate switch.
You need to get an intermediate switch to replace it.

If you have three switches controlling one set of lights then one switchplate must be an intermediate, hence why it has four terminals. There's no way to use a two-way switch with 3 terminals at this point on the circuit, although for the other two switches it will be fine.

Sponsored Links
As stated, easiest option would be for you to get a metal intermediate switch.

There is a chance you could swap the existing intermediate with one of the others and fit your new one but it would depend on how the cables are ran between switches (and obviously it would ave to be single gang). You would have to tell us exactly what wires are connected to what terminals in all 3 switches, and also which wires make up each cable and if any wires are in terminal blockbehind the switch. Photos would be good. Do you think one of the switches was installed after the other 2 were in place?

EDIT: Doh, Ignore all that, you need to buy another switch anyway so might as well get a metal intermediate.

yes this switch is the one that has been installed after the other ones...the other ones are set in the wall......this is a plastic box on the wall...

the other switch at the top of the stairs does have a terminal block behind it....is that where he has taken a spur off that switch?

I'm getting confused. Need a good explanation of what you are wanting to do. Is your existing switch you want to replace broken?

If the switch 'at the top of the stairs' is the intermediate then that block is the connections for two wires called the strappers.

Just go and get an intermediate switch and you'll be OK.
Any other discussion is redundant and will confuse the issue.

mike no its a plastic bos on the wall ...so i have put a metal box in the wall and want a metal switch on it....i,m going to plaster the wall you see...

so when i took the front off if the connections at the back would have been the same on both switches i would have no probs.....

Sorry, TTC is right, I am just confusing things. By far the easiest solution is to take the switch back and swap it for an intermediate. There is an outside chance of swapping another switch for the intermediate you are removing and rewiring the other switches but it would take longer to work out how all 3 switches are currently wired, and may/ probably is not possible anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back