Replacing a Pressure Release Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am very much new to plumbing, so far my experience has been in unblocking a few u-bends and plumbing in a dish washer with a self cutting extract pipe.....

I had a problem with my combi boiler... A worcester 35CDI.... It had been losing pressure regularily and needing to be reset multiple times daily... From browsing here and doing a bit of fault finding I found it was 99% likely to be the pressure release valve. The pipe from the PRV is warm so I suspect it is letting, although I cannot physically see the water as it is plumbed into a waste pipe I believe....

Anyway, I purchased a new valve, and was going to attempt to replace it, but the connection to the copper "waste" pipe (the pipe from the PRV to outside) is stiff and unable to be removed... It's brass, so obviously rather soft... My question is what tool should I use for this... I have an adjustable which seems to be too hard, and damaging the brass.... and I have some pipe grips but I cannot get the purchase on it I need....

Thanks for any help, and as this is my first post... Hi...

Sponsored Links
OK....

I have changed it but....

I need some help... May have to call an emergency plumber...

Now the pressure doesn't drop, but the boiler lights for a few seconds and then shuts off with a shudder....

Any ideas?

Don't know this boiler, but obviously it has got to come off.

Try tightening it slighlty first then undoing it.

Are you sure you are putting enough force into undoing it?

If that fails, does it look like it has been put on cross threaded?

What is near it? If nothing plastic or combustible could you heat it with your blow torch?

the boiler has air in it

make sure the automatic air vent is open

Sponsored Links
Ok...

I am showing my inexperience.... And who tries these things at 9pm at night???? Ha Ha

It seems to be working fine now... Thanks for all help...

I have decided I will also get a CORGI engineer in to service the boiler... I have just moved into the house and I think it's a good idea... Would you agree?

Nice forum, a lot of info, I'll try to help where I can, but obviously not in plumbing...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back