Replacing a switch with a dimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single switch turning on a single light (the lights only permits up to 60w).

I have brought a single dimmer (from wickes) and left the earth where it was and put the red which was in l1 into l1 on the dimmer and the other red into the squiqqle. The light does not turn on. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
No ideas.

But I replaced 5 x 30 watt normal bulbs with 5 x 7 watt low energy one tonight and the dimmer started buzzing away. Had to go back to normal lightbulbs.

If you have a low energy one maybe dimmers need more current to work?

I might be talking rubbish.

Lamp is broken
Power not on at the consumer unit
Wires to dimmer terminals not stripped properly
Wires not properly secured in switch terminals
Fuse in dimmer switch needs replacing (if it has one)
Dimmer switch is faulty
Dimmer has a minimum loading which is higher than the lamp currently fitted

If none of those, then

Is it one where you need to push the knob in to switch it on / off?

Sponsored Links
But I replaced 5 x 30 watt normal bulbs with 5 x 7 watt low energy one tonight

Low energy lamps (CFL) cannot be used with dimmers unless they are specifically marked as being suitable for dimmers (most are not).

Using CFLs with a normal dimmer will damage the lamp, dimmer or both.

But I replaced 5 x 30 watt normal bulbs with 5 x 7 watt low energy one tonight

Low energy lamps (CFL) cannot be used with dimmers unless they are specifically marked as being suitable for dimmers (most are not).

Using CFLs with a normal dimmer will damage the lamp, dimmer or both.

Yep. Thats what I thought. The buzzing told me that I had ran out of competence. They keep it a well kept secret!

Although, I have single CFL in another room on a dimmer, that is always turned up to max. I have had that for a while with no appararent ill effect. Should I replace that with a rocker type switch?

Lamp is broken
Power not on at the consumer unit - no the other lights work
Wires to dimmer terminals not stripped properly - no it works fine on a normal single switch
Wires not properly secured in switch terminals - no checked that
Fuse in dimmer switch needs replacing (if it has one) - no fuse
Dimmer switch is faulty - must be this! Great....
Dimmer has a minimum loading which is higher than the lamp currently fitted - no

If none of those, then

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back