Replacing a transformer in a 48 lamp pendant to LED transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently refurbishing a dining room and our current chandelier pendant light has lost half of the 20w halogen bulbs over the past year. Upon inspection it looks like some of the wires from the current transformer have burnt out ( looks very suspect and keen to replace). With 48no. 20W lamps currently fitted, we wanted to upgrade to the light to LED and thus reduce the power requirements. The transformer say its a Relco ART RN1924/MSP and is rated at 550VA. If we replace this with a suitable LED transformer to power 48no. 2w G4 LED bulbs, what should we be looking for?

Would a simple 150w dimmable transformer like this work?

https://amzn.eu/d/dM82Ke1

Some help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Some led lamps do not like running off them electronic transformers, you previously had a toroidal transformer, try and get one of them, as long as the wattage is above your new led total wattage it should work fine.
Be careful fitting them in the base as if metal you can create a shorted turn and you may need to fit insulaters

We're currently refurbishing a dining room and our current chandelier pendant light has lost half of the 20w halogen bulbs over the past year. Upon inspection it looks like some of the wires from the current transformer have burnt out ( looks very suspect and keen to replace).
There can be a nomenclature problem in English when referring to "current" - meaning "existing" - when talking about electrical devices. where "current" may have a different meaning.

Hence, I presume that Davidg1230 means the "existing" transformer when the word used was "current".
we wanted to upgrade to the light to LED and thus reduce the power requirements.
As is "advisable".
we (wish to) replace this with a suitable LED transformer to power 48no. 2w G4 LED bulbs, what should we be looking for?

Would a simple 150w dimmable transformer like this work?
That transformer "rating" is appropriate for 48 Lamps rated up to 3 W (144 W), so that should be "satisfactory".
To use a "Transformer", the LEDs concerned need to be able to operate on AC (which is the best option).
While LEDs are DC devices, the "Lamps" using them can be equipped with Full-Wave "Bridge" rectifiers, to allow these DC devices to operate on an AC supply, of the appropriate voltage.
(Suitable devices might be found in https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...+3W+12V+AC+DC+SMD+Capsule+Corn+lamps&_sacat=0 or elawhere, avoiding Amazon, as far as possible.)

If you reduce the Voltage supplied to those LED lamps, by means of a "dimmer" reducing the Supply Voltage, it is quite likely that the LED will "dim" appropriately, although not necessarily "linearly".

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
What I have recently learned by replacing an old failed G4 halogen light fitting with LEDs:-
1. LEDs are best to have a "constant current" transformer" (often called a LED driver), so that they last a long time.
2. The output wattage of the transformer should ideally be about 20% more than the total load of the G4's. In my case I wanted it for 3x2watt lamps = 6watts so ideally a 7.2 watt transformer but they don't exist so I found an 8 watt job.
3. So called LED drivers have bits of electronics specifically built in for running LED's, I am too ignorant to know what these are but everything I have read in my researches seem to indicate that it matters.

Upon inspection it looks like some of the wires from the current transformer have burnt out
That has happened because the light was designed for 10W halogen lamps.
48x10= 480W, well within the 550VA rating of the transformer.
With 20W lamps, it's 960W, well above it's design rating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back