Replacing a wooden ceiling floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a townhouse which suffered water damage and termite infection to the wooden ceiling; from a structural position, how do I repair this damage?

Sponsored Links
Hard to say on the information you've given but it sounds as if an extensive amount of rebuilding would be necessary.
Any chance of some pictures?

At a guess I'd say the poster is refering to a first floor i.e it's a ceiling when you are downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Ah it becomes clearer with pictures :)
Very first thing to do is to cure the leak although if we are looking at the underside of a flat roof all the repairs will be done at the same time.
Any timbers badly infested with the termites would probably best be replaced although from the pictures it doesn't look too bad . Are there firms near you that deal with timber treatment and preservation? It'd be a good idea to get one in for a closer look unless you are able to buy and treat yourself, but you will know the local situation better than anyone on here.
Once traetment and repair is done then its simply a case of replaster boarding or refitting of ceiling tiles onto the metalwork.

Many thanks! Based on your comment, structural issues are secondary, as it is a matter to repair the plumbing, address the termite infection, replace the damaged timber and install new ceiling tiles.

I get from you that this is not an unusual approach?

I wouldn't say structural issues are secondary it's important that the structure is sound and waterproof before starting any finishing works inside.
Much of my work involves similiar sort of problems that you have , although we don't have termites over here we do have woodworm. As I say your structure looks sound from the pictures but a closer physical inspection would either confirm or deny this.I'm not sure about termites but over here some people get paranoid about woodworm and chop out perfectly good timbers because of a little worm in the sapwood

I will have to engage a structural engineer to determine integrity since I do not have this expertise. Thanks again.

Best of luck , and please keep us informed. I'd like to see pictures of the termites and the damage if that's possible please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back