Replacing an old Crabtree double 2 way light switch with a new MK one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Can anyone help please?

I am trying to replace this old Crabtree double light switch.
OLD MK rotated labelled.jpg

The left hand side looking at the image controls the ceiling light. This light can also be turned on/off from a light switch at the other end of the room. The right hand side in the image controls a wall lamp.

This is the new double 2 way switch I have bought (MK)

NEW switch up close.jpg

How should I wire this please?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
L1 = L
L2 = 1
L3 = 2

You might think on the old right hand side switch that the wires in L1 & L2 are the wrong way round.
They sort of are but it makes no difference with the switch only being used as a one-way (off/on).

If you find a switch is working "upside down" then swap 1 & 2 (L2 & L3)

Thank you both for the very quick replies.

I will try this tomorrow and post back.

Thank you again.

Sponsored Links
That new MK switch, it doesn't look like MK from the back and says made in China as far as I know MK made (final assembly( in the UK with some parts from mayalasia. Where did you buy it from?

That new MK switch, it doesn't look like MK from the back and says made in China as far as I know MK made (final assembly( in the UK with some parts from mayalasia. Where did you buy it from?
Yes, it weird seeing MK stuff not made in England.

Could the Made In China MK stuff possibly be the new MK Base budget line?

Don't ask me, I don't use it.

(Incidentally, the old switch is NOT MK, it's Crabtree.)

shows a MK base switch next to a MK logic plus switch. The back OPs switch looks very much like the MK base switch.

Hello,

Thank you for all the help and comments. Fitted the switch. Working perfectly.

Switch was bought from Screwfix. It does say MK just to the right of the 'Made in China' bit and it is MK Base.

The original switch also has the MK logo, again probably can't be seen in the photo. (I will double check this when I get home tonight though.)

20220717_102818.jpg

Thank you again.

Hope this helps someone else out.

Last edited:
Hello again,

Sparkwright, you are correct! Crabtree.

It was my other socket that was MK.

Thank you

Thank you for all the help and comments. Fitted the switch. Working perfectly
Hi,
Sorry, this may be an optical illusion and I could be completely wrong :), but the two wires in (L2) and the one in (L3), don't look as if they have been captured properly by the screw terminals (they may have slipped up the sides?).
Did you double check the connections after the photo was taken?

Hello,

Thank you. I did reseat those wires before I put the switch back in place. They were in tight, but down the side of the screw. Managed (wasn't easy) to get them under the screw.

Probably should have taken the picture after I'd done that.

Hello,

Thank you. I did reseat those wires before I put the switch back in place. They were in tight, but down the side of the screw. Managed (wasn't easy) to get them under the screw.

Probably should have taken the picture after I'd done that.
Well done! :)
Some terminals I find far easier to use than others!

The stripped end of the wire in the Left L1 terminal appears to be "doubled back" on itself - in a flattened "U" shape - one side of which is caught under the screw.

It is a "good idea" with all single 1 mm² and 1.5 mm² wires to do this - and to twist "pairs" of such wires together, to increase the possible area of screw contact.

The stripped end of the wire in the Left L1 terminal appears to be "doubled back" on itself - in a flattened "U" shape - one side of which is caught under the screw. It is a "good idea" with all single 1 mm² and 1.5 mm² wires to do this ....
In the case of terminating into 'large' terminals, as in that switch, I would agree. However, I don't think that one can generalise about "all single 1 mm² and 1.5 mm² wires, since it depends upon the size of the terminals. Some in light fittings/accessories etc. have terminals which are so small that one might well struggle to get a doubled over conductor in (if one could at all)!
- and to twist "pairs" of such wires together, to increase the possible area of screw contact.
I imagine that will get some comments :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back