Replacing an old socket witha new socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace an old socket, round pins, with a new one. The rest of the house has new sockets already. Is it just a case of replace the old socket with a new one or more complicated?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
this socket have you any plugs for it, can you switch it on / off from eleswhere?

i am thinking that it may be for lighting i.e a table lamp, which would mean that no you should not change it

The socket is just stuck in a cupboard in a corner and as far as I can see is not being used for anything. I want to replace it so that I can start to use it, specifically to plug a lamp in.

Thanks again for your help.

it still sounds like its a "light socket" why not get a plug to fit the socket and see, like this
TLPT2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Plus there is the question of how big it is. If it is small (2 amps), then it is for lighting.

There are also medium (5amp) and large (15 amp) which are for different purposes. I.e. 5 amp would be ideal for a toaster, a tv or a larger light, and 15 for a washing machine, drier etc. You shouldn't wire on an over or underrated plug, the three sizes are for different loads. In someways its better than having fuses in plugs like we do now, as the fuse is at the CU , and it forces using the correct rating(how many times have you seen 13 amp sockets, attatched to a clock radio that have a 13 amp fuse in, simply out of lack of knowledge).

As long as it looks fairly modernish, it shouldn't need replacing.

Plus, you cannot replace such a socket with a thirteen ampere socket, they are on differently rated circuits.

If it does look old, what you might want to check is that the round pin sockets haven't just been replaced with 13 amp square pin sockets on the same circuit, which is unfortunately common practice by unexperienced DIYers.

MKK770.jpg

2 amp

MKK0771.jpg

5 amp
MKK0772.jpg

15 amp

Images not to scale

I.e. 5 amp would be ideal for a toaster, we know what you mean (but you didn't mean toaster)

Why not? A toaster uses about 700 watts. At least mine does. I'm no expert, but I was just making a calculatoion.

small toaster, but you wouldnt want to plug a toaster into a lighting circuit, which it probably is

The biggest give-away that it is on the lighting circuit - IS IT SWITCHED FROM THE WALL????

sure if it is switched from the wall that is a likely positive

but i wouldn't put it down as not being so if it isnt' switched from else where

easiest way is to flip off breakers until you find the one it is on

i would also agree that you should check for old cable at other sockets and that one before you do anything

if you find rubber or lead covered paper it needs to be replaced asap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back