Replacing brake calipers, is it really necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm changing the discs on my car, and wondered when is the time to change the calipers. They're working fine, with no leaks.

Are there kits available?

Camerart

Sponsored Links
If there aren’t any leaks and the piston retracts easily, then they are fine.....you may have a job removing the bleed nipples though if they haven’t been opened of late!
I guess new seal kits are available somewhere but I just get the thing exchanged - there will be rust on the piston, and usually in its bore too.
John :)

If there aren’t any leaks and the piston retracts easily, then they are fine.....you may have a job removing the bleed nipples though if they haven’t been opened of late!
I guess new seal kits are available somewhere but I just get the thing exchanged - there will be rust on the piston, and usually in its bore too.
John :)
Hi J,
Ok, bite the bullet and buy.
Cheers, C

So are you going to change them when there are no obvious faults?

Sponsored Links
When your calipers are off, inspect them. Look for damage to the rubber boot. Even if there is no leak from brake fluid out it is a way for water to get in and eventually the piston and thus break will seize and you will end up with a brake on fire. Other wise just refit.

Might be too late, but you do not mention how old your car is, or how many miles etc.

This place has a wide selection of rubber kits/ pistons and exchange calipers if yours are needed.
https://brakeparts.co.uk/

Apart from the mentioned leaking fluid, split rubbers etc, how are the old brake pads looking, generally even wear on both sides ?
Once you have new discs and pads fitted, how does it brake, good and even ?

If the slider pins are in good condition and free to move, and the above checks are ok, then likely the calipers are fine.

Back