Replacing Ch programmer with wireless recommendation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, redecorating downstairs and my wife would like thermostat removed. Wireless seems the way to go. I last replaced programmer 17 years ago. I recall then the backplate was common to the last programmer. Any recommendations please best programmer with wireless thermostat. Also is the back plate still commonly used so I don't need to wire up in a bug way. Thanks all for input. Simon

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_123629.jpg
    IMG_20201003_123629.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20201003_123352.jpg
    IMG_20201003_123352.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20201003_123633.jpg
    IMG_20201003_123633.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 161
  • 16017257893144752580263229266821.jpg
    16017257893144752580263229266821.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
Are you talking thermostat only OR programmer.
I have 2 programmers installed Honeywell CM927 They are brilliant.

Think Hive uses that back plate. However the question is what boiler and control do you want?

Anaguloge is better than digital, but not all boilers allow anaguloge control, most popular a anaguloge is OpenTherm.

Digital can work well, but for an oil boiler likely you want a thermostat with anti hysteresis software to stop over shoot, but with a modulating gas boiler that is the last thing you want

Often all the thermostat does is stop boiler cycling when we get warm weather, the TRV sets room temperature, but that is not always the case.

There is no one thermostat will do all, each has plus and minus points.

EPH work as master/slave great for OpenTherm boiler and zone valves, but does not link to TRV heads, each as said plus and minus.

Hive wall thermostat can work like a hub each TRV tells the thermostat when to turn on boiler. Thermostat is cheap but TRV is expensive.

I have found a cheap programmable hard wired wall thermostat around £35 and cheap programmable TRV heads £10 can do nearly the same job as most expensive system, but down to your house.

If you look as Honeywell EvoHome it has been going for a long time and it is unlikely to have problems, but not cheap and it is old, but in the main it is the rest of smart devices which you also look at.

I have not got the best, but if I say how I did it, maybe you can make sure you don't make same errors.

It started with an alarm to tell me when mother had gone on wheel about, wanted to turn off socket with remote and with time, so Energenie socket, followed with light switch then 4 TRV heads and because it was claimed to work with Nest and the heat link connects to thermostat with 2 wires got Nest gen 3, and the Nest Mini's.

Once you buy the hub, makes sense to keep to same system. So what do you want your system to do.

Thanks all, I'm looking at programmer and thermostat. The boiler is old, 40years but still running strong. The main work is around decorating (skimming) walls in living room and my better half wants rid of the room thermostat, tbh I'm also keen to go wireless as in RF linked or possibly WiFi to router and be able to control switching via mobile application. That all said, I have a few WiFi sockets that's about as far as my knowledge on smart home controls extends. I don't want this to be a big project, it's incidental to the main decoration tasks, I'm trying to use as opportunity to upgrade though not familiar with current programmers on the market. Boiler heats hw and ch, have two valves being switched, gravity feed system. Thanks for parting with your knowledge, will check Honeywell. Simon

Sponsored Links
The boiler and thermostat. Thermostat cover not on correctly, about to tefit

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_133058.jpg
    IMG_20201003_133058.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20201003_133047.jpg
    IMG_20201003_133047.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 162
Programmable room thermostat might be a good option. Some people like the Honeywell T6 range, I haven’t used them personally.

Thanks, T6 looks nice, not sure I would appreciate all functionality at present. Honeywell Cm927 is RF as opposed to WiFi or smart app control able. Proven and on market many years, looks good, though..... Only controlling CH and not hw.... I continue checking reviews, thanks all so far for input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back