Replacing Combi-boiler in London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Stumbled across this awesome website a few weeks back when my boiler started playing up and having a read through a few posts and thought it might be a good idea to ask a few questions in regards to my replacing my boiler.

Basically I have a 5 year old Biasi Garda Plus gas condensing boiler which provides heating and hot water for my flat in North London. I have been having some issues with it and following a service they are saying it will probably need a new diverter which will cost around £350 parts and labour. I read a few posts on this forum and replaced the diaphragm (which admittedly was pretty knackered) but to no avail; it still plays up with the pin going in and out when it tends to want to.

My dilemma is that 5 years ago I paid around £400 for the boiler and I understand that these are pretty much “cheap and cheerful” therefore I see no point in “throwing good money after bad” with the expectation that once I have it repaired something else will go wrong and I will need to replace the boiler. Therefore I have a few questions:

- What make should I replace it with? I've come to the conclusion I'm likely to own my flat for the foreseeable future (5+ years) therefore is there any point in going for cheap and cheerful again or should I go for a Worcester / Valliant (which I understand are supposed to be good makes?)

- Is it true that you can get long warranties with the better makes of boilers and if so, do they need to be installed by a specific company, or can I get someone local to do it in order to get the long warranty.

- What size / rating will I need (small well insulated flat – 800-sq.ft, 3 rooms plus hallway with four radiators) plus shower run off the boiler?

- What should I be looking to pay for installation? I am thinking it would be better to buy the boiler myself and to get someone to install it for me, or should I go with an installer who buys the boiler and does the installation all together?

- Does anyone know / recommend anyone in North London (N19 area) who would be able to do the installation work, or should I Yellow Pages it and find a company / installer.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is one of the most reliable ever made!

They are totally repairable!

You have obviously been the victim of a rip off firm who want to overcharge you for what would be a very simple repair.

Tony Glazier

Your boiler is one of the most reliable ever made!

They are totally repairable!

You have obviously been the victim of a rip off firm who want to overcharge you for what would be a very simple repair.

Tony Glazier

Do you think it is worth having the boiler repaired, or to do a new install?
In reality I'm really looking forward 5 years and want to be sure that I have a reliable boiler as I may be looking to rent out my place when I go to work overseas and sort of think a new boiler may be a good option.

Repairing your boiler will always be far cheaper than having a new one!

As yours is one of the most reliable I cannot see any reason NOT to repair it.

I have repaired perhaps 4000 Biasi boilers and have only needed to replace just ONE and that was because the landlord had called some idiots who had spoilt it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As yours is one of the most reliable ...

I have repaired perhaps 4000 Biasi boilers
Bit of a contradiction there Tony - if they're so reliable, how come you've had to fix so many ;) ?

hi mate, in my opinion biasi are not the most reliable boilers on the market by far, when you said you had changed the diaphram are you sure it was the dhw diaphram because i could have sworn that your boiler didnt have one, it has a dhw flow sensor, the only diaphram is on the primary circuit which makes only when the pump is running, was that the diaphram you had changed? also it does sound like somebody was trying to over charge you. its sounds like an easy fix so I wouldnt change the yet even if it is a biasi, but when you decide to replace it I would recommend an INTERGAS boiler, probably the most reliable boiler at the moment.

Bit of a contradiction there Tony - if they're so reliable, how come you've had to fix so many ;) ?

I have fixed quite a few because they are very popular in London and I do repairs on an economic basis ( as long as someone appreciates that charging for diagnosis is reasonable ).

Because they are sold cheaply they have been very popular and if fitted on a clean system the M96 is about the most reliable boiler made recently.

Like all boilers sold cheaply, they are often NOT fitted to a clean system and fail due to dirt in the system. Thats not the manufacturer's dirt and I exclude installer error from a professional assessment of their reliability.

Tony

hi mate, in my opinion biasi are not the most reliable boilers on the market by far,

So in your opinion what are the most common faults on the M96 which are the maker's responsibility?

Tony

hi mate, in my opinion biasi are not the most reliable boilers on the market by far, when you said you had changed the diaphram are you sure it was the dhw diaphram because i could have sworn that your boiler didnt have one, it has a dhw flow sensor, the only diaphram is on the primary circuit which makes only when the pump is running, was that the diaphram you had changed? also it does sound like somebody was trying to over charge you. its sounds like an easy fix so I wouldnt change the yet even if it is a biasi, but when you decide to replace it I would recommend an INTERGAS boiler, probably the most reliable boiler at the moment.

I'm no heating engineer, but fortunately I'm pretty handy and decided it was worth changing to see if it would resolve the issue - but obviously not handy enough to solve the problem as yet! ;)

I removed the four screws and plate and replaced the rubber diaphragm which pushes out on the spring loaded plunger, whose pin hits the micro switch. This pin hits the micro switch and fires up the burner whenever the heating is turned on or when the the tap is turned on and the pump starts.

I've also noted some loss of pressure on my hot water so I'm also thinking it could be down do the pump which is not forcing the diaphragm out far enough to hit the plunger and force out the pin.

A couple of my radiators are corroded and the water is pretty manky so I'm thinking it could be a good opportunity to replace the whole lot and be done with it!

I have fixed quite a few because they are very popular in London and I do repairs on an economic basis ( as long as someone appreciates that charging for diagnosis is reasonable ).

Because they are sold cheaply they have been very popular and if fitted on a clean system the M96 is about the most reliable boiler made recently.

Like all boilers sold cheaply, they are often NOT fitted to a clean system and fail due to dirt in the system. Thats not the manufacturer's dirt and I exclude installer error from a professional assessment of their reliability.

Tony

Tony

I think this is most likely to be the problem I have, as this boiler was installed on an existing system which I believe was dirty and I suspect this had led to the downfall of my boiler and why I am thinking it may be best to install a new boiler.

I'm also thinking that I may as well do it properly and replace my radiators as well as I've also noted some corrosion on them. I'm guessing you do installation work, so if I PM you, would you be interested in quoting or be able to point me towards an installer that cover North London?

blocked condensing heat exchangers (water ways too narrow, but down to installer not flushing correctly). blocked venturis, leaking diverter valves, and actuators. like i said they are not the best but not the worst! for the price they are ok if installed correctly, that is why i said do not replace the boiler yet.

blocked condensing heat exchangers (water ways too narrow, but down to installer not flushing correctly). blocked venturis, leaking diverter valves, and actuators.

You dont seem to be describing problems which would normally apply to an M96 model.

I dont recall ever finding a blocked venturi on one.

Nor have I ever encountered a blocked heat exchanger either on the M96.

Leaking diverter valve parts are solely as a result of the installer not cleaning the system.

That is not a feature of the boiler design and will affect any boiler which has been badly installed. Unfortunately, those buying a cheap boiler also choose a cheap installer!

The majority of boiler faults within the first few years are as a result of installation issues with dirt in the system being the most prevalent.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back