replacing combi - do I have to have a condensing one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a worcester 230 combi and it is broke, been told it would be cheaper to replace. It is nearly 12 yrs old, ( it was working rad's on, then next check rads were cold, flame out and pilot light would not light, but could clicking).

I am being told I need an condensing combi, but I heard you need a soakaway for them. Can't I just replace my old combi for a normal combi?
I have no room to build a soakaway where the boiler is. If I have to have one that means moving the boiler to another room and you can imagine the expense!.

surely I can just change one boiler for another?

Any advice I would greatly appreciate. To be honest havent even worked out where I am going to get the money to pay for a new boiler yet.

Thanks in adavance.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately not, there is an exemption process though to qualify its a bit like a technical version of the one about having to be over 85 with both parents still alive.

99% of boilers are connected to a drain and not a soakaway.

Your boiler is quite repairable but its more profit for someone to replace yours than repair it and they probably dont have the skills to repair boilers.

A £1500 job to replace and a £150 ( or less ) to repair.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I should get a 2nd opinion.
We have never had any problems with our boiler before, and as for energy, who's energy would I be saving???

I live in an old house, with old wooden windows, have the roof insulation and cavity wall etc, but it wouldn't make difference to the heating whether it is new boiler or not. I heard several times that these news house regs means new built are that insulated etc - great in winter - HUGE problem in summer as it is too hot lol. Homeowners now have to have fans or aircondition units. Seems a big joke to me. Apparently as this is new they dont know how it is going to affect houses/heat etc esp with "so called climate change"

And as for an electric or gas bill.....when you have kids bills are always high. I wouldn't make an savings till they leave home, and going by the prices of houses now.........sod governement saying save for kids uni I should see if you can have a housing trust fund so they can move out hee hee

Thanks again for your adavice will get a second opinion before I make any decisions

I always recommend calling in Worcester for a fixed price repair. £185 all in I believe including up to 3 parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back