Replacing connector of flexi soil only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I'm refitting a toilet after some redecoration and was hoping to use the old soil pipe; whoever was here previously connected the flexi soil pipe to the fixed pipe in the wall and then plastered around it, so it's impossible to move without a heck of a lot of hassle. However there's a split in the rubber so I was wondering is it possible to remove the actual connector end of the flexi only? It'd mean I could just switch this part out only. I've tried twisting and it won't budge but I haven't tried too hard as I'm not sure it's even meant to come off - so figured I better ask first!

Thanks - photo attached to show where I mean!

Attachments

• soilpipe.jpg
    soilpipe.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
as above.
use a knife to lightly free the plaster surrounding the pipe.
using a knife or a hacksaw blade, cut the flex off level with the wall then slip the hacksaw blade into the opening, and cut a slice into the pipe finns - use grips to ease the finn remnants out of the soil pipe.

dont ever re-use WC connectors.

So my description before probably wasn't great, but here's a photo to show you; it's stuck around the pipe itself with goodness knows what; the cabinet is the vanity unit. As you can see there's also the sink waste going into that pipe. Also attached photo to show split.

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 117
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 123
Sponsored Links
Flexi should pull out of the rigid grey section, ideally if you can, replace with a rigid connector. The only thing guaranteed if you reuse that flexi is a leak.

it's stuck around the pipe itself with goodness knows what;

Looks a bit like a mastic type sealant or a grip fill type, either way you should be able to remove the flexi as above. Try carefully scoring it with a utility knife first, then gently rock it from side to side and up and down, should then be able to remove it.

The other alternative is, if that really won't come out (and TBH with a bot of perseverance it really should come out), you may get away with getting a new Mcalpine Macfit pan connector (If that is the make of yours) and you then remove the seal from that one and swap out the old one. Just note how the new one comes out.

You need to confirm the codes that will be on the side of your existing connector first to confirm which one you'll need to buy to get the correct seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back