Replacing Dimmer with switch. Confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change a chrome plated dimmer (the sort where you touch a flush button and the light brightens and then darkens ) to a basic wall switch. It controls a single bedroom light. Took the face plate off ( revealing a metal patress box) but not a staightforward as other switches i've changed

The dimmer has three connections marked:

1) Live-- into which two Live (red) wires run. (both of which were loose)
2) S-- this has no wire connected
3) ~-- this has one red connected. (ps . whats this symbol called)

Three black wires run into a connection block loose in the socket

The earth cable (wound together from both grey cables) were connected to the earth on the switch but there was not a short length of earth from the switch to the patress box.

I want to put on a basic switch . What do I do.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Put the two reds you had in one terminal to the L1 in the new switch. The single red goes into COM (which is a squiggle ona dimmer).

It doesnt matter which way around you get the COM and L1 on one way switching to be honest, but the above will work.

Leave the black neutrals well alone on their own!

Thanks mate. Wish i'd have posted this when it was still light - couldv'e finished the job!

couple of questions though
1 - why are the neutrals in the strip
2 - should i still earth the new socket back to the metal box

Thanks again

If the new switch is metal, then it must be earthed to the back box, otherwise do not worry.

The neutrals do not need switching in standard lighting circuits, so the neutrals are all connected together in the strip connector. You have loop-in/out wiring to your switches, as opposed to the pendent/light fitting, which is a common practice these days, especially with downlights and fancy centre lights. You would more than likely only have a single cable at your light fitting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back