Replacing existing bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would be grateful if you could advise me on the replacement of my existing bathroom extractor fan. The wiring is no problem, I would like to know which sealant has been used to firmly secure it in the circular hole. obviously when replacing I would like to replace the sealant like for like.
With thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Decorators caulk, silicone, no more nails, flour and water......impossible to say.

Are there no screwed fixings?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply... I assume it's for waterproofing purposes, could you recommend what you would use?
Thanks

Is it a wall fan with an external grille? If so then the only place I would put silicone would be around the grill edges if the brickwork was uneven.

Normally I would secure the fan to the wall with four fixing screws, one in each corner and use a solid tube to duct to the external vent.
The hole would be perfectly sized as I always use a core drill.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I understand what you are saying. After unscrewing the fan from the internal wall and disconnecting the wires I am unable to pull it through as it is surrounded by some form of sealant. Possibly the hole was made too big when the previous owner did the job. If this is the case what should I use when replacing the 4 inch extractor.
Thanks

I would probably use a low module silicone sealant if I really felt it was required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back