Replacing existing fireplace with aquarium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
In the house I have moved into there is a fire place in the middle of the room, I find this to be impractical and also kind of an eye sore. It may look ok in the pic but when you are in the room you can't see the entire room because of the flume and we never use the fire place (it's disconnected). See pic to understand my situation. I was thinking of removing the flume and using the fire place as a fish tank stand. The fire place is marble but would require a board in the middle to support to the fish tank. What's everyones opinion on this? is it a good idea? There are a few things that are putting me off, firstly there is no power socket in the middle of the room, and I've heard it is a bad idea to run an extention cable under the carpet. The next is that it would be in the way of direct sunlight which would cause algae to grow fast and last thing is my two staffy's who roam the lounge. I would hate for them to accidently tail whip it or purposly knock it.

Sponsored Links
Honestly, I would embrace its 70s Austin Powers cool vibe with some quirky decor..think brass and glass a la Tony Montana in Scarface...OR rip that sucker out completely...FISH, nope sorry not a fan.

Sponsored Links
Algae would not be a problem with the correct filtration, and a large tank (well constructed) would go no where with the weight of water even with 2 dogs.

Only concern would be getting power to it and making the wires not so visible, maybe come in from the ceiling?

not sure about power either, was thinking about running an extension socket either under the carpet or floor board but I've heard that it can be dangerous to route the cable under the carpet. Cables from the ceiling would not work as I would be removing the flume.

I would contact a custom aquarium builder, like ND Aquatics or Barlows as they would be able to advise you with all the information you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back