Replacing felt and EPS installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
First time poster here!
I have been advised that the eaves felt need replacing and the battens also need replacing on a standard semi detached house (one storey). I've also been recommended that EPS system be installed.
My usual roofer quoted £600 for doing both sides but rather annoyingly he has gone AWOL. I got a quote from another firm and they said £1,100 plus VAT.

£1,100 pls VAT sounds expensive to me but I'm not sure whether that is because I am comparing it with the first quote I got.

Can anybody tell me what the going rate is for this type of work? I am based in the West Midlands. Any help greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It depends on if the price includes scaffolding and what the roof covering is.

Roof covering is tiles. Not sure about scaffolding, I wouldn't think so.

Who says this work is needed, and how do they know?
Where are the suspect battens located?
Any valleys or verges involved?
Any damp signs in the house?

By EPS do you mean insulation or eaves protection system?
Could be a case of simply installing plastic eaves protectors?

One story work could be done off a platform.

Sponsored Links
If it’s small tiles and there are loads of hips and valleys that need the new felt and trays to be properly tucked under so lifted and rebedded then the price could be fine. Where in the midlands? We’re booked up till March ‘19 but I could put you in contact with someone decent.

I've seen that the battens are rotten and there is some damp inside so I can believe the work quoted is needed. I meant eaves protection system but could probably do with some installation. yes it is a one storey house.
I am not far from Kings Norton.

Under lay support trays don't magically fix a leaking or knackered roof.
Any pictures ?

yeah, now you seem to have the eaves issue at the eaves and maybe a leak issue further back up the roof?

No obvious leaks further up the roof and to be honest I can't afford a half / full re-roof. Been told that replacing felt, battens and fixing EPS system will give me another few years out of the roof. Haven't got any pictures to share, not that technologically advanced! Property is actually 2 storey, made a mistake earlier.

Does £1,100 seem too much for this sort of job?

How longs a piece of string?

If monies tight get a few quotes, you should get an idea of fair cost.... You might get some info as to what the issue is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back