Water getting into bedroom: £750 for two eaves protection systems, cement ridges/re fasten one loose slate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - just wanting some advice. Recently bought a home 2 weeks ago and the survey didn’t pick up on any roofing issues. We had a few days of rain and noticed the front room had some wet patches/peeling paint on the ceiling, roughly behind where the guttering runs outside. The only issue the survey picked up was some re pointing was needed.

Had a few quotes and all but one recommended installing an EPS. I am confused as the roof is original so no felt underlay, but i thought the purpose of the EPS was to go over the felt?
1/6 quotes said replace the whole roof due to age, and 5/6 said EPS as they believe the roof is generally in good condition. The most recent said they’d install an EPS front and on the back (theres water marks in back bedroom suggestion a leak there at some point), re-doing the pointing and removing/cleaning the gutter. Quote below:

“to take off guttering and install eps eave protection system to front and rear of property, clean guttering , re fix loose slate”

“Sorry forgot to put in quote that includes cement work on ridges thanks heath”

The others quotes roughly between 400-600 just for doing one EPS in the front.

My question is will the EPS be of any use if we have no felt due to it being an original roof (house is circa 1900) and is £750 a little too good given the others all suggested close to that for just one of the jobs? The most ambitious quote had 100% feedback online out of 70 reviews.
Any other thoughts welcome. Unfortunately we cannot afford a whole roof replacement, or this repair work, but it is useful to know estimates. Sadly we didn’t account for this when we bought the house as we hoped the surveyor would have done a better job since we got a RICS level 3 survey.
IMG_7210.jpeg
IMG_7211.jpeg
IMG_7125.jpeg

Sponsored Links
the man who undertook the survey will have professional indemnity and insurance
He failed in his duty to reveal what is an obvious defect (as the professional roofers (trying not to laugh) have identified))
It will cost you around £50 to see this person in court...just make sure you follow pre-action protocols as the courts are sticklers for this.

the man who undertook the survey will have professional indemnity and insurance
He failed in his duty to reveal what is an obvious defect (as the professional roofers (trying not to laugh) have identified))
It will cost you around £50 to see this person in court...just make sure you follow pre-action protocols as the courts are sticklers for this.
they also managed to miss the rotting in the extension, every skirting board crumbles at the touch! Not sure I have the confidence to peruse it on my own sadly as I’d worry i’d make a mistake

they also managed to miss the rotting in the extension, every skirting board crumbles at the touch! Not sure I have the confidence to peruse it on my own sadly as I’d worry i’d make a mistake
I would start by emailing or writing to this person and invite him to return and then point out the defects and ask how it is he did not see these.
Make sure you record the visit on your phone but make sure he does not see you doing this as this might spook him.
Then ask him for the details of their professional indemnity insurance as you intend to make a claim.
Of course you can't make a claim and neither can he until he is found wanting in a court of law but like most people who have trade insurance, they never read the actual small print so this is the first bluff.

You can't have him resolve the issues but the claim you have is that if he had acted professionaly and had reported these issues, you would have either not bought the property or you would have sough pre-remedy or additional discount so you want to be in a position that you were in before he screwed-up

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back