Price comparison for re-roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve done a couple of small re-roofs 6-7 years ago and they cost around £3000 each.

Now I have this bungalow and had two quotes one being double the price of the other.

The one that is double is by a company that did my gutters and they are fantastic but they try to go into re roofs. The other one ( cheaper one ) is a local Manchester based roofing company with fantastic reviews that doing mainly reroofs.

The cheap one is around £4200-4500 and the other one is £7800. No gutters included in that price with either quotes.

The expensive one said he will use Breedon double Roman tiles.

What am I expected to pay for something like that so basically semi bungalow with nothing tricky, front and back new felting new tiles new buttons dry verge and dry ridge ?

Attachments

• F99D4D80-A08F-4DDD-A605-EEFD63ACA5AE.jpeg
    F99D4D80-A08F-4DDD-A605-EEFD63ACA5AE.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 0A0B0C01-5818-4375-8D94-D3B3FC054817.jpeg
    0A0B0C01-5818-4375-8D94-D3B3FC054817.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not a roofer so can't comment on what I think you should be paying. What I'd say is get your 3 x quotes from reputable roofers (for the same work using the same tiles) and make your decision from there. If your local council has a trusted trader list, have a look at that also.

We found the same.... had 4 quotes, ranging from £12k - £28k. Went with the cheapest as we had good experience with that roofer patching up the knackered roof.

3 years on all seems well, and it looked like a proper job when they were doing it.

The most expensive quote reckoned he needed 5 skips for waste.... the one we used just about fitted the tiles in 2 skips, and filled the back of his van with battens and felt twice.

All prices were for Spanish slate, hard to tell what 'grades' were what though!

What I'd say is get your 3 x quotes
I guess that’s the best thing to do. I don’t quite understand how trade people can quote jobs so far apart. In the end of the day it is 576 tiles timber battons, two three rolls of felting the verge the ridges and sundries, screws nails etc.

Sponsored Links
A £4500/£5000 price is about the figure i would expect, looks a straight forward job, and being a bungalow, scaffold will be cheaper.

Last edited:
I guess that’s the best thing to do. I don’t quite understand how trade people can quote jobs so far apart. In the end of the day it is 576 tiles timber battons, two three rolls of felting the verge the ridges and sundries, screws nails etc.
There's a whole lot of variables that will affect pricing. I needed a wooden front door replaced, one guy quoted £2,000, another £500. Struggled to get a third quote so went with the £500 guy. Did a perfectly good job, although I made sure I checked him out as much as I could prior to giving him the go-ahead.

If you've got 6 months work in your diary and a queue of people asking for quotes then why would you work for £4000 when you could work for £8000?

There are not 576 tiles on the roof in the picture unless you are doing one side only . Both sides are about 1100 tiles .
£7800 is very greedy . Is that plus vat ? Are the others plus vat ?
Get another quote .

There are not 576 tiles on the roof in the picture unless you are doing one side only . Both sides are about 1100 tiles .
£7800 is very greedy . Is that plus vat ? Are the others plus vat ?
Get another quote .

Sorry there are 16 rows per side I think more like 832 tiles plus ridge tiles.
The £7800 asked me to give him cash but this is a BTL company so i don't deal with cash as I need invoices for HMRC.
So the price includes VAT.

I did not ask the second one if he is VAT registered but they are a limited company, just checked them on company's house and they have fantastic reviews on check a trade( been going on for over 25 years ).

If you've got 6 months work in your diary and a queue of people asking for quotes then why would you work for £4000 when you could work for £8000?
That's so true for the expensive quote. He mainly does gutters, fascias and soffits and they are booked up for months plus they have a trade shop where they are selling plastics.

UPDATE

The expensive one rung me up and he said he can do 2 roofs for £14500 including gutters fascia and soffits in the second property as the first already done it so basically two roofs for £13200.( £5500 per roof plus vat )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back