Concrete guttering job / double glazing order & prices.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased a house which has this very dated concrete guttering system to front and back which has a few leaks.
I am looking to have it removed and a upvc fascia board and guttering installed.
I will also be getting new double glazing installed in the house.

I have had a couple of roofers take a look, they have both mentioned that the concrete guttering acts as a lintel to the double glazing so will have to be very carefully removed to ensure it can stay in place to act as a lintel for the windows.

One guy said get the roof job done first and another guy said get the windows replaced first so that any problems with the new guttering can be addressed to match the new windows. I am not sure which order it should be in, roof or windows first?

I am also looking to get a dry verge system installed at the gable end at the same time.

Can anyone advise of what sort of price I should be paying for this job?
- remove and replace the concrete guttering (including scaffolding)
-install upvc fascia board (not sure if i need a soffit)
- install new guttering and downpipes
- replace wet verge to dry verge on gable end

Any other advice I should take into consideration before I hire someone?

Thankyou in advance.

lSFpmFe.jpg

Vsi9VTS.jpg

Attachments

• 20180126_134435.jpg
    20180126_134435.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 319
  • 20180126_134610.jpg
    20180126_134610.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 567
Sponsored Links
I'd rather keep the gutter and line it, rather than end up with something like that abortion next door.

I have to agree with Woody - harsh, but usually right;) And your gable end detail doesn't need a dry verge plastic thingy. Just my opinion. Hopefully there will be others.

Sponsored Links
unfortunately, leaking joints are just one of the issues, condensation around the edge of the room caused through cold bridging is another . usually this is why most people seek removal.
im a little surprised your neighbour ended without any amount of soffit. it doesn't usually work quite like that....

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate the information as im out of my depth in this areas.

So finlock can be a good thing is maintained property ? (Apart from the ugliness of it )

The issues I have with it are the leaks as you can see from the damp patches on the brickwork, and some damp that is noticeable around the window areas inside the house which likely is due to the finlock gutters.

I'm looking for a long term solution and not sure if this would be suitable long term.

If i was to have it changed out should I clearly be saying a soffit is needed as the guys that have had a look have both said a soffit is not needed as they would match is with the neighbours which is just a flat fascia board.

its more trouble than its worth.
i cant see exactly what the neighbours have had done in the pictures posted.
possibly the first course of tiles have been pushed up to reduce the need for a soffit.
doesn't look good.
but can look ok.

Maybe you could line the gutter and insulate the inside to stop the thermal bridging?

If you are renovating the property then insulated plasterboard will eliminate the cold spots ie. bedroom
ceilings and external walls. celotex pl4000.
Then you just need to reline the guttering.
If you really want to remove the guttering I suggest
you renew all of the front of the roof otherwise
its going to look ugly.

You won't get a soffit due to the roof pitch - a soffit will end up lower that the frames - unless the eaves tiles are given a shallower pitch ... which could turn out even uglier.

A lining will give you at least 20 years life. Add some insulation internally ( it does not need to be much, say 10mm) and that will do. Otherwise it's the greater cost of revival and still the internal making good and replastering.

But first thing would be an assessment of the condition of the concrete. If they are in good condition and will last the life of a lining then that's fine. If so, a clean up and coating of breathable water repellent will be a good idea.

But it all comes down to cost over the expected life and the time you expect to be living there.

Good way to get to know all your neighbours - ask them for their experiences either removing or living with them.

seen plenty with soffit after the finlock has been removed. They look fine for that house style. no soffit looks c**p.
pitch has nothing to do with it.. pictures to follow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back