Replacing Fill Valve on Toilet

I've added a couple of photos that show it in better detail. It's not 100% smooth, but it doesn't feel very rough or anything. The green stuff doesn't seem to come off even after giving it a go with the scouring pad.

Attachments

• IMG_20181122_155346.jpg
    IMG_20181122_155346.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20181122_155634.jpg
    IMG_20181122_155634.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Ok. You need to get the pipe smooth , bright ,and shiny . like a new pipe. So after seeing pics ,get the wire wool !!

Yes it will ,takes a bit of work / elbow grease. Welcome to the world of plumbing !!:cautious::D

Sponsored Links
Haha thanks. I shall give it a go.

The other problem I have at present is that the screw slot to turn on and off the isolation valve is damaged, so I can't turn it, meaning I'm without water at the moment which isn't very helpful!

I've tried taking photos but they don't come out too well.

Attachments

• IMG_20181122_161544.jpg
    IMG_20181122_161544.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20181122_161556.jpg
    IMG_20181122_161556.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 56
Is there such an invention that can be temporarily put on the end of the pipe to stop the water coming out if I was to turn the water back on?

Well thats seen better days. You could buy a new one for a couple of quid. To fit it you will need two good spanners ( or adjustable wrench and grips ) a roll of ptfe tape may come in handy as well) ,and you will need to turn off the water supply to it . Either at mains stopcock ,if mains fed , or from tank in loft if fed from there.

Adam,
"Is there such an invention that can be temporarily put on the end of the pipe to stop the water coming out if I was to turn the water back on?"
Yes, it is one of these (a push fit stop end). Useful to have around in case of emergencies like this.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-pse4615wp-stop-end-15mm-2-pack/94176

But as Terry suggested, might be easier (and same price) to simply fit a new one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251
or
https://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-with-handle-15mm/89226

Note that it is simplest if you only change the valve body and not the nuts or olives which you re-use.
So you undo/loosen the nuts on the existing old value.
Remove the old valve body (but leave the nuts and olives on the two pipes).
Put in new valve body in the place of the old valve body (using the old nuts and olives on the two pipes).
The reason I suggest this because you cannot remove the lower nut from the pipe because the olive will be in the way. But you can (normally) reuse this nut and olive.

Hope that makes sense,
SFK

Last edited:
Good morning,

I purchased the stop ends and last night had the joy of water again. They are a great invention!

This morning, I cleaned up the copper pipe and fitted the new flexi hose and connected it up with the toilet. IT WORKED!

I've not changed the isolation valve just in case it causes more problems, but I have bought one just in case it does need changing down the line.

Thank you so much for your help :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181123_095316.jpg
    IMG_20181123_095316.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 58

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back