Replacing fire surround.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my mantle/ fire surround. It's an open fire with the hearth and front tiled. The wooden surround i want to replace is like this

http://www.internetfiresdirect.co.u...90&code=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e&pid=

I just want to remove the wooden part but how is it fixed? It is very stable when you try to rock it away from the wall just with your hand. Is there ties plastered in or something? It doesnt matter if i need to mangle it getting it out but i would prefer not to mangle the wall.

Any tips or info.

Sponsored Links
Yes, two ties normally. They come loose so can be anywhere on the surround but usually on the side near the top.
It might feel secure but shouldn't take much to prise it away from the wall. :)

As above. They are usually thick wire loops about 8 inches down from the top if its an old tiled surround. The fixings can be quite big. They used to fatsen things in a big way yrs ago. Probably into wooden plugs. If you chip away the plaster around the mantle and side you will find them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back