Replacing firealarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I bought 2 new fire alarms for the house as I seen them on offer, they were battery powered not mains. Got home removed the old alarms to find they are mains with battery back up, wot the best way to make the wiring in the ceiling safe so I can attach the new alarms?

Thanks Ian

Sponsored Links
Get new replacements for the old ones, far better than battery only.

Smoke and heat alarms should be changed every 10 years anyway.

That's the problem I bought the alarms not knowing that mine were mains, we only got the house last year. I was decorating the hall and took the old alarms down and realised they were mains, I bought the new alarms 2 months ago so can't change them :(.

Sponsored Links
If you've only got two smoke alarms, I would assume they're in perhaps 'communal' areas. ie: hallway, landing. You really are best ensuring that the mains linked smokes are replaced like-with-like.

The battery ones you bought could go in the bedrooms. You can't have too many smoke detectors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back