Replacing flat roof - best to go for pitch roof? glass roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat roof has sprung a leak and needs replacing. Rather than just getting it recovered, I wondered if it might be better to go for a pitch roof (more attractive) or even a pitch glass roof (more light into the living area).

I really need some advice about the pros and cons....

Sponsored Links
Pitch roof will need planning permission and glass will need building permission as the new regulation (April 2002) regarding heat loss etc,Check with your local planning and normally it's very straight forward or they might let you go ahead.

I would go for pitch roof for long term trouble free and you could fit a velux skylight windows in the roof so you got the best of both world !

Thanks Masona.

The cost issue could be interesting. To resurface the flat roof I'm looking at around £850. Any idea what the cost might be for a pitch roof (approx 5m x 2.5m)?

Without seeing it,at a guess £1500+ for lean to type roof,best to get a free quote.

Sponsored Links
Hi Denaldo,

I too have the same problem regarding the flat roof. I live in watsonville california. I want to replace my roof this summer. Want to know the cost, but am also seeing there are several products out there that require some planning. Anyway, was pleased to find this user friendly board. Can you pleaes respond to this message with your findings thus far. any idea on general cost of replacing a flat roof with a pitched roof?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you
Orlando

oquiroz said:
any idea on general cost of replacing a flat roof with a pitched roof?
No idea, as we're base in the UK and the price will differ from country to country as materials, labour, planning costs etc. Sorry can't help.

Thanks Masona.

Would a polycarb/glass roof be a lot more?

Thanks

Donaldo

To give you an idea on price, Triplewall 16mm Clear 4m x 2.1m approx £130, I'm not sure of your plan layout as they would be some building regs on this.

How do i repair the guttering, the fibreglass has cracked and the water is dripping down the outside wall.

Rather than chang the entire roof for concerns about leakage, why not just fit a rubber membrane that fits the entire roof and will not leak?

Look here

Towarmaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back