Replacing floor joists, questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of replacing some joists, I have a span of about 7 metres with 4 sleeper walls in between, the joists are in 2 sets, 10@2m and 10@ 5m long x75x150mm

all the walls have had new plates bedded in and are pretty level

my problem is that a couple of the joists have about a 10mm bow in them, I've turned them so the high point is in the middle but what I'd like to do is to pull them down onto the plates now rather than stick the flooring down and let nature take its course

any advice on the best way to achieve this?

p.s. I'm a novice so be gentle!

Sponsored Links
thanks

I did try to squash them down but I couldn't manage it , I think I'd need about 3 people to get them down heh , they're pretty strong bits of wood

besides that I also thought of using some brackets but I fear the plates might just lift up rather than pull the joist down

I wonder if I could attach a bracket to the masonry flush with the plate then screw into the underside of the joist and pull it down

Sponsored Links
Dont worry about it, they will settle down onto the sleeper walls in due course.
All floorjoists have some degree of bend in them thats why you always put them round side up.
What would you do if the joists were at first floor level?

I'm in the middle of replacing some joists, I have a span of about 7 metres with 4 sleeper walls in between, the joists are in 2 sets, 10@2m and 10@ 5m long x75x150mm

all the walls have had new plates bedded in and are pretty level

my problem is that a couple of the joists have about a 10mm bow in them, I've turned them so the high point is in the middle but what I'd like to do is to pull them down onto the plates now rather than stick the flooring down and let nature take its course

any advice on the best way to achieve this?

p.s. I'm a novice so be gentle!

if you force them down... they will only try and rise again... best to leave them find their natural state...

If the 10mm is across the entire length of a timber which straddles several sleeper walls, then cut them over the wallplates, and re-join using foot long lengths which sit central to the wallplate. 4 nails each side.

Hi

thanks for the advice

I see your point anobium

geraint - yeah they will settle over time and once the flooring is on they should flatten out a bit

Deluks - I aint chopping them but thanks for the suggestion

The reason I wanted to pull them flat was to help me level them so I can shim or rebate the wall plates,then I can level the 2m ones flush with the 5m long joists

I'm an engineer by trade and I'm used to working within microns, maybe this is making me too fussy , heh :)

right, just put a few string lines up and found the 2 outer joists to be about 5 mm higher than the rest

I'm not sure what to do

I could chisel rebates where the outer joists sit so they are more level with the other but this would be awkward

I could shim the inner joists although i'm not sure what to use, would these be ok?
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...gs/Plastic+Packers+Assorted/d90/sd1950/p46640

I could leave it as it is but i'm not sure whether the chipboard flooring would pull the inner joists up ?

any suggestions

right, just put a few string lines up and found the 2 outer joists to be about 5 mm higher than the rest

half off which is probably sag on the string
so forget it as the floor over the seasons will move by more than 5mm up and down any way :D

the string is pretty tight :)

the bits that are out are the joist ends, this is because the wallplate dips slightly in the middle and some of the joists are different heights, in theory these won't move much at all apart from their slight expansion & shrinkage over time

Your making life to difficult.
Just put a straight edge on the ends of the joists making sure it is level, then pack up the joists intermediate joists as necessary, forget the centre of the joists , job done.
It is not engineering!

If the 10mm is across the entire length of a timber which straddles several sleeper walls, then cut them over the wallplates, and re-join using foot long lengths which sit central to the wallplate. 4 nails each side.

what absolute tosh......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back