Replacing Floorboards on 1st Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking to install a dropdown projector in our home (along with some other electronics). The room above the living room just so happens to have the joists running the right direction for this to happen. However the whole floor (an area of 11' 10" x 13' 2") is tongue and groove fitted floorboards.

I have done some reading and from what I have seen it appears like pulling these up is going to be a pain and they probably won't be reusable.

Anyone have any other ideas with regards to this? I have been offered a cheap replacement of chipboard flooring but again from what I am reading this seems to be a real cheap option. What would relaying new floorboards cost for a job this size?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Why wouldn't the floorboards be reusable? As long as you use a circular saw with a depth set right and cut along the tongues you'll be able to get the boards out fine and they'll go down fine as well.

Then Pull the nails across the joist you're cutting along and use the circular saw there too halfway across the joist. When putting the boards back down use screws.

Why wouldn't the floorboards be reusable? As long as you use a circular saw with a depth set right and cut along the tongues you'll be able to get the boards out fine and they'll go down fine as well.

Then Pull the nails across the joist you're cutting along and use the circular saw there too halfway across the joist. When putting the boards back down use screws.

This makes absolute sense. I have been told a circular saw will make a mess of it and potentially the blade is quite thick. I have been offered an alternative kind of like a hand saw with a circular blade on it called a multipurpose saw, do you think this would be up to the task? https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cla...Qoeqce6RQt86KOsQp0VraJlNehTUu02IK8aAsqe8P8HAQ

The blade on the multi tool is thinner and it is what I use however it takes longer than the circular saw but the upside is that you will find more uses for the multi tool in the future.

Sponsored Links
The blade on the multi tool is thinner and it is what I use however it takes longer than the circular saw but the upside is that you will find more uses for the multi tool in the future.

I'm guessing I would need both if I went for the circular saw anyway otherwise how do you get right up against the wall and corners?

I'd normally use a circular saw. Although you can get a fine blade to cut through the tongues, I mostly use a coarse TCT blade which lasts longer and is thicker. It also shrugs off the odd nail or screws.

A multicutter is fab for cutting into corners and tight against walls. Make sure you get one that takes common blades as sold in your high street, local DIY sheds, Screwfix etc. In my small town I had to mail-order as nobody had blades in stock for my Worx (they can also be cheaper that way) which was annoying when I was half-way through a job. The little blades wear out fast.

You can also do it with a hand backsaw or floorboard saw, but unless you are fitter than me it is slow and exhausting.

Beware of pipes and cables and cut to depth.

Once you've got the first board out you probably won't need to cut the tongues off the others -just lever them up in a hinged fashion. Worst that happens is you end up splitting the tongue off anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back