Replacing garage light with flourescent tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I'm trying to replace my garage light with a fluorescent tube but I've run into difficulties with the wiring. I've uploaded a sketch of the wiring here - http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2733640

The wiring for the fluorescent unit has three terminals but which cables do I take from the current arrangement into the flourescent unit?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
BTW if you do mechanical work, power tools or car engines in your garage, you must get a filament bulb as well to illuminate the work - the fast flicker of a fluorescent lamp, though invisible to the eye, can prevent you seeing that moving parts are spinning fast.

Thanks for reply Spark123. Could I trouble you to expand a little on that? the picture I've uploaded is the current arrangement with the rose on the joist. I want to remove the rose and screw the flourescent tube in its place. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I see what you mean now Spark123. Would you recommend doing this with a junction box?

You can do it with a junction box if you wish (junction boxes should be accessable) or I would personally replace the 3 pieces of block inside the fitting with a strip of 4 terminal block.

And, sorry , I also meant to say that I've got a pull cord switch in the garage so will that affect the arrangements with the diagram in the sticky? thanks again. Sorry to be dumb!

sorry to be an arse but spark 123 look at my pir overide question? would be much appreciated

if you have a ceiling rose/pendant arrangement, take the holder off the end of the pendant drop and wire this into the fluorescent lamp. Screw the lamp to the joist, next to the rose.

crafty1289 said:
if you have a ceiling rose/pendant arrangement, take the holder off the end of the pendant drop and wire this into the fluorescent lamp. Screw the lamp to the joist, next to the rose.

only if the new fitting happens to be class 2...

Adam_151 said:
crafty1289 said:

only if the new fitting happens to be class 2...
and replace the drop cord with a new length of 3-core flex . . . . :rolleyes: :LOL:

I should have listened more at school. Sorry for being completely thick here guys.It's a new house I have (If that's relevant) and I have no red and black cables anywhere - just blue, brown and earth from the supply and to the switch. On the sticky diagram if i was to re-draw it for my cabling would I replace the black cable (with red marking) coming from the switch with my blue and the red cable with my brown? I must be missing the point because that would then indicate that I'm joining up a live from the light with a neutral from the switch. Thanks again.

They dont teach household wiring at school - most you get at school is how to wire a plug.

The wiring colours were harmonised with europe recently.

Live (single phase) went from red to brown
Neutral went from black to blue

As you can now probably tell, wiring in appliances was harmonised a long time ago, as manufacturers made things compatible with European and UK electricity supplies. Only recently, though, have supplies been harmonised, with the design voltage across Europe now being 230V (though i get 234.5v at my house, and voltage can vary from 210 to 250v)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back