replacing garage roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody.

I have a pitched garage roof that is leaking in quite a few areas as the corrugated sheets have cracked and broken, so I am looking at replacing it.
I have read through this forum and quite a few searches advise against using chipboard as replacement however I have access to quite a bit of thick chipboard for free (anything for free I will try to find a use for it). which I was thinking of using. I am thinking about painting it with bitumen paint to help seal it then cover with roofing felt as a final covering.
Do you think this would last or am I just wasting my time.
ps Money is tight at the moment so as the chipboard is free I thought its got to be worth trying.

Thanks in advance
Duncan

Sponsored Links
The flat roof of my extension is made out of chipboard covered by torched down bitumen and felt. Rather than paint i would rather torch bitumen on it. It would last longer

Chipboard is entirely unsuitable for any roof. As soon as a whiff of damp gets to any of it, it will disintegrate. OSB3 is what you need. If you want to do the job once, that is.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Agreed! Chipboard will get damp, and when it does it has the structural integrity of weetabix.

So not only will you have have a leaking roof, it'll be unsafe for anyone walking about up there.

And yes! This is what I found some time ago (evidence of 1970s and 80s building habits), before re-decking with ply (extension 1 roof and shed) and OSB/sterling (extension 2 roof).

Chipboard will defo be a waste of time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back