Replacing grundfos pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My rads downstairs are not heating up , hot water and rads upstairs are fine.
I have read up and it more than likely the pump I have a grundfos 15 60 and I want to change this for a grundfos alpha 2. Can someone offer advice will this replacement be ok, I didn't just want to replace with same sort if the alpha2 is better.

Thanks cliff

Sponsored Links
agree with above, turn off the upstairs rads what happens to the downstairs ? if they heat up it's prob a balancing prob rather than the pump

DIYers always like buying a new part, even a different type and then hope that it will work!

Better to diagnose the problem first and then see what is the best solution!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks I followed the turn upstairs off and some heated up but not to the temp you would expect. Some stayed cold, would this still be a balancing problem. If it. Is can someone point me in the direction of good instructions on how to balance.

Thanks Cliff

Thanks have found some instructions will need to get a thermometer , will it matter if I do these not in order as I can ot tell what is connected to what. As long as I get the 12 degree difference between the pipes. Lastly if after doing this they are not up to temp do I turn the pump up , currently on setting 1

Thanks in advance

I am unsure how these pumps work but is it as simple that the settings 1,2,3 refer to the water pumped through and does that make a setting of two hotter at the rads. ?

What sort of system do you have ? how old

very old, we have only been in the house since last April.
runs off LPG as not on gas mains. None of the rads have TVR's when we moved in it didnt work maybe me not knowing how to use it but could not get a light on the boiler. Engineer came in and said it's very old you should replace but same as everything money is an issue. I am at work at present so can not find out the make of boiler at present. We just want to try and nurse it along a bit longer.

if its very old then its possibly a gravity system (pump only works for heating ) . If so check for an antigravity valve on the flow to rads usually within a couple of feet of boiler . Brass and about 3 inches in length
These stick in the partially open position and give the symptoms you have

thanks I will look into that also but dont see it as a waste of time balancing the rads as well.

try turning it up for a bit.. pump may be getting weak in its old age.

put it on 3 and see what happens.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
Thanks for all the advice, I am off tomorrow so intend to put everything into practice and will post a reply to the outcome.

must say everyone is so helpful on this forum

Cliff

I have now had a go at balancing the rads and all feels great. I could not get hold of a thermometer. Well managed a small digital one that was rubbish so decided to open all rads both ends and close down and open one end 1/4 turn.
With some tweaking I now have every rad at about the same temp.

This was some rads at end of run that have never been that good opened up a bit more

Thank you all so much for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back