Replacing half of a timber lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Edwardian house solid brick.
I am looking for minimum disruption fix here.

Ex. timber lintel (softwood) ~65 x ~200 section has rotted in outer exposed half above two 500mm wide windows. Inner 100mm of lintel after I dig in is solid. (See pics, clicky magnify).
Interior of property is smart and dry.

Is it sensible/acceptable to follow proposal (diagram).. Chop out rotten 100mm of ex lintel, insert 65x100mm concrete lintel in place? Overall lintel would end up ex timber internally and concrete on external half of the wall.

Also, since windows are only 500mm wide, might any support be needed?. If I were to first brick up the centre bit before removing the rest of the timber, and add two short lintel sections instead. So even during works, the max unsupported on the outside of the brickwork (given that there are headers anyway) would be 800mm. I am expecting the wall to survive this easily without support. (Not that ex lintel is doing much anyway). Is that reasonable?

I am also considering adding Pb flashing over the new lintel, with a rear lip to prevent any further penetrating damp through the joint getting to the inside where the timber lintel would be. Is this sensible, or might I either A) not bother, or B) use a plastic DPM folded over at the back? Site is fairly exposed and I'm concerned that the joint between new lintel and ex brickwork may suck moisture in over time.

Sponsored Links
Totally remove both wood lintels (& treat the area with fungicide), then insert new lintels over the frames - solid brick the centre panel, and face brick the window heads.

Caution required ref. the gas and condensate discharge pipes below.

Use a professional builder.

Hi Ree.

I respect your answer, so don't get me wrong. Only I wouldn't be here if I just "used a builder" every time. (And I have had experience of some shocking builders as well as some good ones).

So to replace the entire lintel (which I won't take on myself)..not just the outer rotten bit. - Easy question coming up...

Why?

Bitter experience.

Timber plates in solid walls will eventually rot. Esp. in 100 yr old walls.

Even tho you think that you've cleaned out all the spores from the front plate, there will be some left behind. Plus there could possibly be concealed rot on the seating face of the plate.

I'd say that a certain % of people come on here to get a heads up before calling in a professional. My suggestion had nothing to do with your possible DIY experience but your safety.

Sponsored Links
Well it was a job I said I'd do if the rot were only on the surface.

Rgds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back