Replacing Halogen Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can someone confirm if I can replace the original Tamlite transformer with the Knightsbridge one.
Do I need to replace the other box (what's that called?) too?

Thanks

Transformer.jpg

Attachments

• K Transformer.jpg
    K Transformer.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Those power supplies (not transformers, the label is wrong) are similar spec so should be interchangeable assuming you are using them for (obsolete) halogen lights not LEDs.

The other box just looks like a connector.

Midas
That light is using arround 20W to 60W (20-60VA) of power.
Suggest you replace both the power supply module (transformer) and the downlight with only a mains (240V) LED downlight (following links show downlights with replaceable LED GU10 bulbs).

Also I am sure a new mains LED downlight and bulb is cheaper than a new power supply module (transfromer).
And LED GU10 bulbs use around 5W, so 4 to 12 times cheaper to run than your current setup.

To fit a new LED downlight use the grey wire currently going from the connector to the power supply module, to instead go from connector to the new bulb holder (and do not use the power supply module).

Also, to aid fitting, press the button in the middle of the blue connector (right item in image) and the connector will seperate into two halves making it easier re-wire on your table top.
Put wire coming from this connector into the wiring connections of the new (240V mains) LED downlight.
Click the two connector halves back together and job done.

Forgot to add - SWITCH OFF MAINS FIRST to be safe.

SFK

Last edited:
Those power supplies (not transformers, the label is wrong) are similar spec so should be interchangeable assuming you are using them for (obsolete) halogen lights not LEDs.

The other box just looks like a connector.
Will they work if I’m replacing the halogens bulbs with LEDs
If not, what do I need to do?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will they work if I’m replacing the halogens bulbs with LEDs
If not, what do I need to do?
Thanks
No they won’t. The “transformer” box has a minimum rating of 20VA (=watts). Your LED lamp will be much less than that. Best to follow the guidance given in post #3.

A toroidal lighting transformer does not care if 0 or max current is drawn, it still works. 1671032894256.png the rub is dimensions 95mm x 65mm (excluding cables), so in the main will not fit through the whole the light fits in, also heavy, and more expensive than the electronic power supply, and it does not correct the voltage, however with LED that's not so important.

This 1671033152434.png electronic power supply, will also go 0 - 50 VA, but the output frequency is not 50 Hz, likely in the MHz range, cheaper £11.47 compared with £23.94, regulated output, and will fit through hole, but can react with the Diode to form a transmitter. Some G5.3 lamps are marked 50 Hz, likely they will work but not sure.

The driver 1671033459043.png is DC, likely will work with most G5.3 LED's £11.40 from same supplier. will likely fit through hole.

This 1671033593610.png lamp holder will allow you to use low voltage GU10 lamps rather than G5.3 extra low voltage, at £2.50 there are versions with junction boxes, but aimed to get all from same seller so can compare prices. Advantage is can use smart GU10 bulbs, dimming and colour changing, and no transformer/power supply, disadvantage often problem getting earth wires to comply with BS 7671 and not permitted is some areas of a bathroom.

I would go for this 1671033930771.pngcomplete with junction box 1671033969568.pngas easier to install at £2.48 each, similar in toolstation, one shown screwfix. I can't really see a good reason for extra low voltage except where low voltage is not permitted.

Midas
Ericmark has highlighted a good idea that I missed.

I would buy a new GU10 downlight.
But if you want to keep the old one (becuase it matches others) you might be able to keep your current downlight bulb holder (and save 1 or 2 pounds).

In your current downlight, replace the current bulb with a "240V LED GU10" bulb (it should fit, but might not).
Remove the existing/old bulb socket as it will not fit the new bulb.
Buy a GU10 bulb socket like this:
or (but not as good)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-gu10-gz10-lampholder/3751h
Which is then wired to your Blue Connector using the existing Grey wire (as per my previous instructions in #3).
SFK

The blue thing is made by Click, it is a plug and socket, you can unplug your transformer if desired

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back