Replacing hard wired fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just a quick question. I have an old fridge freezer which is playing up and soon to be replaced. Is it advisable to get an electrician to replace it and fix up the wiring or can I just swap it like for like? I'm used to replacing sockets so I'm sure I can do it i'm just a bit worried about possibly causing a problem with the warranty or even worse if there is a problem down the line with the wiring. The house was built in 98 and the fridge has a 13 amp switch on the wall. Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is a common question, and the answer is cut(or remove) the plug and hard wire by all means. Otherwise how do you think the wire is run through a hole in the worktop? :D

So are you saying the old fridge is hardwired (rather than plug) as will be the new one?
If so and your concerned about any warranty issues, you could buy some flex and replace the whole of the plug/flew from fridge and if the fridge plays up under the warranty period, fix the plug and flex back on.
But read the T&Cs of the product you buy and see what it says about the warranty being invalid if the plug is cut off first.

I assume the fridge is wired to a fused connection unit. Don't understand why sparks do this. Replace the fused connection unit with a 13 amp socket and plug the new fridge in.

Sponsored Links
I assume the fridge is wired to a fused connection unit. Don't understand why sparks do this. Replace the fused connection unit with a 13 amp socket and plug the new fridge in.
Replacing for socket would then require 30mA protection, if not existing.
More work for the sparks!

Probably because the 13a plug stops the fridge going all the way back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back