Replacing Honeywell ST699 CH/HW Programmer with ST799 Model

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I never touch electricals, plumbing, heating, etc but times are hard and I'm looking to try and do some work myself for once and save some cash and tea bags :LOL:

Basically my Honeywell ST699 Central Heating and Hot Water Programmer is working but the time display has gone "doolally" (I think that's the technical term) meaning my only options are Off or Constant therefore want to replace it.

I've read up that the ST799 uses the same backing plate and looks to be pretty much the same unit with the only difference being it offers 7 day programming rather than just 24 hours on the ST699.

Finally, my question, is the installation of this as simple as disconnecting the wires from the ST699 and reconnecting them to the ST799 in the same fashion? It may even be as easy as removing the ST699 front cover and replacing it with the new ST799 cover (i.e. leaving the existing wiring on the backing plate in place and just replace the front screen)?

Like I say, I never touch electricals normally but I'm quite technically minded and this "looks" like a simple job either way. Can someone confirm if what I am saying is correct or if I should be calling in a electrician?

Sponsored Links
yep.

turn off juice.

pull old one off (can be quite interesting if you've never done it before) & push new one on.

yep.

turn off juice.

pull old one off (can be quite interesting if you've never done it before) & push new one on.

it's a shame i can't just buy the front cover really if this is the case but new st799 now on order.

i'm glad it's the "easier" of the two options. i assume when i get the cover off there is some kind of wire connecting it to the backplate and that is the only one i need to disconnect and then rewire to the new cover (leaving backplate and all other wiring in place)?

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back