Replacing hot water and heating system - but what with ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have a gas boiler feeding the central heating on radiators (8) and towel rails (2) plus 2 bathrooms with showers and 1 kitchen sink.

It is an old fashioned tank fed system with a store of hot water (limited and not enough) and an immersion backup.

I have elsewhere and want unlimited hot water. My understanding is that if I go down the combi route, operating two showers at the same time might be a problem whereas with in situ electric showers, that problem is overcome.

What is the best modern option ?

Sponsored Links
You start by measuring your mains cold water flow rate. This will determine what you can do. 12-15 litres per minute is where you want to be.

You start by measuring your mains cold water flow rate. This will determine what you can do. 12-15 litres per minute is where you want to be.

Thanks.

I assume this is with a prospect of moving everything from tank to mains fed ?

Currently I have a gas boiler feeding the central heating on radiators (8) and towel rails (2) plus 2 bathrooms with showers and 1 kitchen sink.

It is an old fashioned tank fed system with a store of hot water (limited and not enough) and an immersion backup.

I have elsewhere and want unlimited hot water. My understanding is that if I go down the combi route, operating two showers at the same time might be a problem whereas with in situ electric showers, that problem is overcome.

What is the best modern option ?
Electricity is 4 times the cost of gas. Also running 2 electric showers at the same time may not work depending on your mains flow rate.

Sponsored Links
Electricity is 4 times the cost of gas. Also running 2 electric showers at the same time may not work depending on your mains flow rate.

A requirement will be to be able to run 2 showers and a kitchen tap and have no disruption to the hot water availability or the temperature.

I have run those before from a 300/400L Megaflow on economy 7 electric with mains feed but there was no gas at that property. Now we have gas in this one, I would like to take advantage of the cheaper costs but only if the system can deliver the requirements.

All sorts of options. As above, get dynamic pressure and flow measured, no point chucking a Megaflow at 1 bar 12 l/min.
A sensible size combi will run 1 shower ok but not 2. You can run a cylinder etc on a combi boiler (it's another heatsink) so, for instance, you could run kitchen and one bathroom from the combi and the 2nd bathroom from the cylinder. If mains flow/pressure isn't brilliant then keep the gravity tanks, add a shower pump if you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back