1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Ideal Classic boiler, or not?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by btb23, 24 Mar 2021.

1. btb23

btb23

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have an Ideal Classic FF250 situated in the garage and it is working fine. Serviced annually since the house was built in 1997 and no other costs, its been reliable, never failed. The only issue is feeling all that 'hot air' combustion gasses coming out of the flue and going to waste.

I'm thinking of having it replaced now with a more energy efficient boiler, and to keep costs down want to choose a simple replacement, nothing fancy, just more efficient. I'm aware some installers will go with what they want to install rather than what will be best for me, this happened when I helped my elderly mum have hers replaced, a Glow-Worm was recommended and fitted and it has cost her hundreds in repair bills and the only option was to have a maintenance/service contract.

Is there likely to be any consensus what to replace it with? Or if it were you what would you do? It does seem to be built to last, but how much extra is it costing in gas compared with a modern one?

2. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Keep it. You'll never see the cost of replacing it returned in gas savings

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Terrywookfit

Terrywookfit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You will never recover the installation cost and subsequent servicing and repair costs.

• Like Like x 3
  5. btb23

btb23

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you both, that seems pretty conclusive.

Advice noted and taken, can close the thread now!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sponsored Links