Replacing Imperial radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of replacing an old imperial radiator (I asked some advice on another thread regards which type to get)

I went for a Quinnn Round top in the end. Obviously the new rad is a bit shorter than the imperial size one, so I have a couple of valve extensions.

One valve has a modern 15mm TRV fitted, but the other valve is still the old 1/2" (I think) fitting. I need to go from 1/2" Male (Valve) to 15mm Female (Extension piece)

I've tried looking around online but nowhere seems to stock anything like that. I know I ought really just replace the valve (and probably relocate the pipes coming up through the floor) but at the moment I just need a quick fix without the hassle of draining the system.

Sponsored Links
1/2" and 15mm are pretty much identical in size. Do you not mean 3/4"?

A picture paints a thousands words as they say.

Even modern radiators use 1/2" tails to the valves. That's why you can't find a 15mm one. Sounds like you just need a '1/2" radiator tail extension'.

Must be 3/4" then, it's def bigger than the radiator fitting. I already have a 15mm extension, it fits the rad but not the valve.

I'll try and get a pic uploaded, it's throwing up an error at the moment.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Yes that would work, I'd prob need the 3/4" version though by the sounds of it.

I did try to remove the old rad tail but it's stuck pretty fast tight. Definitly not an allen key type and doesn't appear to be much of a flat to get a spanner on either. Must have screwed in there somehow though, will give it another try tonight.

Well thats me proved completely wrong. It definitly is an allen key fitting. Found a nice big allen key and the old tail came out ok, screwed into the new rad no problem. So I just need a 3/4" extension piece.

Well thats me proved completely wrong. It definitly is an allen key fitting. Found a nice big allen key and the old tail came out ok, screwed into the new rad no problem. So I just need a 3/4" extension piece.

Are you sure you need a 3/4" extension? usually the 1/2" extension will go into the rad, then the old tail into the female end of the extension so that the 3/4 nut then meets back on the old valve. Like Petit Pablo said, a picture speaks a thousand words

That would work too, Having a mare trying to find anything like though, most seem to be the opposite way to what I need. The valve is 3/4" male and the rad is 15mm female.

Are you sure you need a 3/4" extension? usually the 1/2" extension will go into the rad, then the old tail into the female end of the extension so that the 3/4 nut then meets back on the old valve. Like Petit Pablo said, a picture speaks a thousand words

Yes just tried and that has worked. Can't believe I didn't spot it, I must be losing the plot :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back